Rockerdude's 1965 Dart GT Convertible

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It's really incredible that it's been 10 years last month that I've been a part of this great website, which means that It's been 10 years ago (dang I was 16 back then) when I bought my first a-body, my original 1965 Dodge Dart GT Hardtop. Lots of things have happened/changed since then.. I've had more cars than I can remember, and I'm pretty proud to say Ive owned every early-a body style they made here in the US. This thread is about one car that stands for a for a friendship with someone that I met way back when I still had my first car. First time I saw his 1966 Dart GT Convertible, I couldn't believe how incredibly beautiful it was and that it took him in the neighborhood of 25 years to put it all together, we were friends pretty much off the bat. A few years later he bought 4 Dart GTs (1963 vert, 1964 vert, 1965 hard top, and 1965 vert) at once, and after a bunch of time and moving stuff around, I ended up with the 1965 Vert. The car was the roughest of the 4 cars for rust, needing rear floor pans and rear quarters mainly. Just so everyone knows, progress has been super slow getting her going and she doesn't look like much as of right now because the car is in the process of having quarters and floors replaced.

The plan is currently to put together a 5.9 Magnum utilizing the factory fuel injection/air conditioning/serpentine belt setup and an a500 overdrive transmission. As for suspension/brakes, new 1 inch torsion bars up front, new leaf springs for the rear, large bolt pattern discs for the front with an 8.25 rear and grand Cherokee rear discs.

Paint color was bright red originally, with a black top/interior which is what I will probably stay with but with a more modern twist..

IMG_20170819_135005_01.jpg

IMG_20170819_135007_01.jpg

Dart 3.jpg
Dart_River Overlook_Oct2016_ (1).jpg
Red with black top, thought you might like seeing what your car could look like down the line. I have red interior though, keep the pictures coming as you move forward.

when would you drive a convertible in AZ. you are pretty much going to be a boiled lobster in there.

aside from that, cool score, look forward to seeing progress. :)

when would you drive a convertible in AZ. you are pretty much going to be a boiled lobster in there.

aside from that, cool score, look forward to seeing progress. :)

I'm not really much of a convertible guy to be 100% honest. Here in AZ there is a time and place for convertibles and those couple months of the year here in Phoenix are awesome. During the summer the top will probably always be up with the A/C cranked, should make a great road trip car to head up north with. At least that's the plan.

-
Back