Rod bearings

-

littlecampbell

Reaction score
Was going to put new rod bearings in today but to my dismay the new ones dont have a notch or dowel hole on the ends. The old ones do. If I put the new ones in they will block off the oiling notch on the cap end. We checked the part# and it is correct....Clevites....Anyone?...thanks

:banghead:I`ve bumped this OLD thread because I`m installing the rod bearings on my stock 68 340 and have experienced the same thing. The factory service manual says that the notch or hole in the bearing (that leads to a groove in the rod cap) splashes oil on the opposite cylinder wall. I`m guessing that the hole doesn`t have to be there if the new bearings don`t come with them, but wouldn`t it improve oiling to have them? Should the new ones be drilled? The cam retainer plate does`nt have the hollow bolt for oiling either? Any answers, .......opinions even?

the awnser to you question, i was assembling my engine and ran into the same problem with the clevites long story short i went with federal mogul rod bearings. they have the notch and have been running them for the last 230 miles no problems. knock on wood.

the awnser to you question, i was assembling my engine and ran into the same problem with the clevites long story short i went with federal mogul rod bearings. they have the notch and have been running them for the last 230 miles no problems. knock on wood.

That`s one way to handle it.:)

Thats weird since FM and Clevite are now the same company. You can live without the notch, and if you are running low tension rings you want to block it to keep too much on the cylinder walls from overwhelming the rings. BUT on a low RPM street driven engine, the notch isn't a bad idea. You can notch any bearing with a file if you wish.

I just ran into the same thing putting a 69 340 together. I talked to several guys including 2 local mopar mechanics.I was told that Chrysler engineers decided a few years ago this notch was not necessary.I was also told I could file them if I wanted to.I hope they are right,I installed the bearings without the notches (supplied in kit from NAPA).

You're fine. I wouldnt file a bearing shell unless you've done it a lot.

-
Back