Rod Bolts

-
I suspect the answer most will respond with is that they have to be resized.

I have replaced rod bolts without resizing the big end. This motor has gone 7500 rpm, and is still running today. I would do it again.

Is it new bolts if I resize or should I resize if I have new bolts? I have resized with old bolts and have replaced the bolts and then resized.

An engine builder worth a **** at least measures the rods after installing the bolts.

If the rods use press fit bolts 98% of the time they need to be resized.

Of course people who have to stand behind the engines they build cut corners like that.

IMO it’s damn ignorant to not at least check.

I can't tell you how many times I've had the same question.
I was under the impression that
After $ for resizing and bolts it's almost more worth it to buy new rods

If you are doing a basic rebuild and do not have the rods resized, then I would not worry about new bolts. If you are having the rods resized and/or doing a high performance rebuild, then I would get new bolts. Like @Brooks James said, check prices. It may be cheaper to buy new rods.

Rod failures are mostly due to rod bolt failure. How much are rod bolts compared to your engine cost.
Remember that any fastener that is torqued, is stretched.
Now modern engine fasteners are mostly torque to yield. That is guranteed a one time use.
It is only a small amount of money for peace of mind.

So will new bolts be torqued, stretched. That is what keeps them tight. These bolts are not torque to yield.

If you know the history of the bolts, you will know what to do.
If the bolts were ther before you bought the engine, You won't know the history of whether they have been torqued properly, overtorqued at some time, Engine over revved before. All affect the ntegrity of the rod bolt and nut.

could you? sure. should you? well that depends on your level of comfort.
Did you buy a car? If not In an imaginary engine, in an imaginary car, you could just pretend they are resized.
He don't have a car, engine, rods or bolts.

-
Back