Rolex 24, Anyone ever been?

-

player1up

Reaction score
Has anyone out there in FABO land ever been to the Rolex 24 at Daytona?
Oh, and if anyone could shed some light on the "what can I bring" policy" as it relates to infield parking, I'm a little confused. The site says that I can bring in a 14x14x14 cooler and a backpack through the gate, but if I'm parked in the infield, where and what gate would there be??

Please keep us updated on your trails, errors and experiences. This starts the racing season for me. Never been, but on a bucket list. Let us know how close you can get to the cars, crews and Garages. Post pictures, plenty of pictures

GregH

I do know they are repaving the track, never been. :toothy2:

Greg, I happen to be sitting in the infield ( pit road patio ), which, from the 3d seating chart, is right at the end of pit road at the entrance to turn 1 of the road course. I also have "guided tour" access to the garage area, whatever that means and access to the driver autograph session before the race ! Oh, and I will be taking a couple of cameras and the HD camcorder so I should have plenty of pics for you guys on Monday... :D

Mike, This is the first race on the new pavement. Turn 4 used to be "fireworks alley" :lol: because of all of the bumps causing the cars to bottom out. Some of the drivers have said some good things about the surface..

I dont know the policy there but when they come to utah they are very lax and we bring anything we want they never checked us.We always made a three day deal out of it and it was a hoot mostly at night when you see the fire out of the exhaust and you can see the brakes glowing.Dont think they are coming this year dammit.enjoy

Envious, Sounds like fantastic seats. Watching the GT cars reminds me of the old Trans Am racing series. Wonder if the Challenger V10 race car could be competitive.
Enjoy

Attachments

• cam,aro241.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 130
  • camaro24-2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 113
  • mustang24.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 136
I plan on taking a *ahem* modest cooler in the trunk of the Duster and a small carry in one and hope that my parking spot is close enough for "supply runs" :)

Ben, That's a pretty cool old school beemer /bimer in your avatar..looks like it could possibly be set up for auto-cross?? ;)

Greg, Luckily I get to spend more on tickets as the trip out there is almost nothing for me ( about 1.5 hrs away ). I can't imagine spending over $100 on tickets plus the cost to fly, stay in a hotel, and rent a car to go see a race...

thanks took me three years to build but it was worth it.I did all body and paint myself.It is more set up for canyon runs or road race.My wife and i plan on going to the 24 next year if all go,s well.

Haven't been in years but I'm sure it's as much fun as ever. We use to camp on the infield for 3 or 4 days. As for what you can bring in it seemed to be anything that was legal although it's hard to search. They always wanted to come in the motorhome but only to check for people sneaking in with no ticket..

Friend of mine is racing there. My dad went back in the day and slept under a car in a rain storm :) 24 hour events are awesome. Check out the Petit Lemans at Road Atlanta. Check out the guy I know racing there, he is an amazing driver. He is racing the Ferrari F430.

http://www.mikeskeen.com/

Well!!!!
HIGHLIGHTS:
- I took about 150 pics.
- Almost got run over by the 41 car ( Dempsey racing ).
- Drank dang near a whole 12 pk.
- Wife got Patrick Dempsey's autograph!
- Saw some really amazing racing.
- Spoke with Mikel Miller after he "hit a parked car" ( his own words ) :lol:, My wife asked "what happened?" and that was his response.

So as far as what you allowed to bring....Carried the small cooler over the shoulder and left the main stash back in the car.. worked like a champ, but even parking in the infield....that is a loooong walk even on the inside of the track.

The pit road patio seats were awesome ( I could have heckled the pit crews :D ) , I'll post pics from our seats sometime tomorrow, I'm BEAT!!

I got to spend some time watching the race from right behind the fence in turn 2, I coulda reached through and tapped the corner worker on the shoulder...that's how close.

ok that is enough for tonight, I'll work on getting the pics categorized and commented before I can post them...

Oh and did I mention .. IT WAS FREEKIN AWESOME?!?!?!!?!?

Matt

The Challenger is a approved car in the 2011 rules.

SPORTSCAR CHALLENGE CAR SPECIFICATIONS 2010
Dodge Challenger GS
Final Drive: 3.73:1
Fuel capacity: 20
Weight: 3200
Tire size 275/35/18.
Must use complete unmodified OEM air intake system.
Approved Modifications
1. Caliper upgrade as per rules.
Permitted replacement components
1. Control arm for camber adjustment, Front Upper part # BFC300, Rear Upper part # BFC301 Crawford. Performance, Phone 760-631-2927
2. Permitted Engine block casting P5153896 w/ 6.1L block mach, Mopar Performance.
3. Light weight hood and deck lid.
4. Flywheel part number FID-194611
5. McLeod Clutch part number 6925-07

I believe the only race team that could put a Challenger on the track in this series would be the Archer brothers. It would be nice to see but I don't think it will happen.

Didn't know one was racing. Early in the coverage they featured a camaro but todays coverage didn't mention it. Did they drop out overnight?

Ok so here are some of the pics from the weekend.

Before the race... The Rolex timer
View attachment Rolex_24_clock (Small).JPG

So this is the view from our seats but we didn't spend a whole lot of time here.
View attachment CSR_PIT_from_seats (Small).JPG

Here is a pic from right on the bank of the newly paved track
View attachment Daytona_bank (Small).JPG

We had garage access... and when I say access I mean being able to wander through the place :)
View attachment Garage2 (Small).JPG

Here is the before pic of the # 36
View attachment Garage_area_car_36_RX-8_3 (Small).JPG

And here is the after... OUCH!
View attachment IMG_0239 (Small).JPG

Here is a pic from turn 2 just outside the fence. Ear plugs are a MUST :lol:
View attachment IMG_0207 (Small).JPG

Oh and the wife got this guy's autograph....who is this guy anyway :iconbigg:
View attachment IMG_0157 (Small).JPG

He looks like the doctor on the tv show scrubs the wife watches while I am on FABO to me player1up

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0157%20(Small).JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 77
I thought this would be the best thread to share the repaving of the track.
The picture you posted player1up looks nothing like Daytona did does it ?
here is some workers getting things dun :grin:

Attachments

• image004.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image005.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image008.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 57
  • image010.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 68
-
Back