Roll bar question

-

IL duster

Reaction score
I have a 71 duster with a 360. I am about ready to finish the car up and I have heard that there are certain things that I have to do to run the car at the track. One of them was a roll bar or cage. Anybody have any suggestions on which cages or bars work the best. Also what other modifications will I have to make to the car. The engine was built to deliver 500hp to the flywheel. I have a 3500 stall converter that was matched to the car and the cam. The trans is a 727 with a cheatah manual valve body and the rear is a 8 and 3/4 with 4:10 gears in it. I have lightened the car a little, but it remains pretty much in street trim. I have the edelbrock aluminum heads so there is a little more weight of of the nose. Anybody have any suggestions on things that will make the car hook better, that would be great as well! Thanks again!

Dan

rules state 11.49 or faster and you need a 6 point bar at least. Your combo sounds like it will get close to that and with the right tuning maybee quicker so I would install the 6 point or better yet the 8 point welded to the floors and rear frame rails and also to sub frame connectors. Sub frame connectors are a must on almost any unibody car. The comp engineering roll bars are a great fit and easy to install I just uinstalled 1 in my 70 duster this summer and mancini sells sub frame connecors for about $100 you can bolt in or weld in I would suggest welding in.

Ron

As rcottick said, 11.49 or quicker as of Jan 05 you need at least a roll bar and SFI 16.1 Driver-restraint system. This may help http://www.nhra.com/contacts/tech_faq.html
If you've modified the floor, tubs, etc. rules start changing so just be safe and look em up before you install the wrong thing. I highly recommend S&W 8pt roll bar. They're one of the best and shipping shouldn't be much to Fults IL from PA. Be careful, one of NHRA rules says if you use chrome moly tubing it must be tig welded not mig. Get mild steel if your planning on mig welding it in. www.swracecars.com 1 3/4 x .134" mild steel is good price. I just went through all this stuff sorting out fact from track talk etc. Just look it up with IHRA or NHRA whatever sanctioning body covers the track you plan to run at.

-
Back