Roller cam thrust

-

440+6scamp

Reaction score
Can someone educate me on what I need to do for cam thrust when switching from a flat tappet to a hyd roller cam? My understanding is that the lobes on the flat cam are tapered to make the lifters rotate. This forces the cam to the rear of the motor against the plate. However, a roller cam has flat lobes so there's nothing to keep the cam from moving forward. Correct? So there's some type of thrust bearing or cam button that I'll need? Does this ride against the timing cover? Will a double roller chain and a thrust bearing fit under the stock timing cover?

What's a good combination of adjustable roller sprockets and thrust bearing that will fit under the cover?

I've seen the billet AL covers that Mancini sells but is that necessary or does it make things any easier?

if you get a solid aluminum or nylon button, you can grind it down till it fits under the cover. providing you use small headed cam bolts. diamond make a real nice rollerized button, but you gotta dimple the cover. shoot for .006-.012 on end play

for a chain, either use a rollmaster or the 440 source gold chain

here's the rollerized one on my hemi, that one requires some work on a stock cover. probably easier to go the other route.
3109014.jpg

3109034.jpg

I just had a thought. I don't know if they make single bolt roller cams or not, but would it work to use a stud and nut instead of the bolt and grind and polish the end of the stud to provide the proper end play?

I just had a thought. I don't know if they make single bolt roller cams or not, but would it work to use a stud and nut instead of the bolt and grind and polish the end of the stud to provide the proper end play?

no such thing as a single bolt roller cam on a mopar

Thanks for the reply 68. I ordered the Cloyes hex-a-just before reading your reply. I also got their cam button. I'll see how it fits and dimple the cover if I have to.

That's a sweet ride you have there.

if you get a solid aluminum or nylon button, you can grind it down till it fits under the cover. providing you use small headed cam bolts. diamond make a real nice rollerized button, but you gotta dimple the cover. shoot for .006-.012 on end play

for a chain, either use a rollmaster or the 440 source gold chain

here's the rollerized one on my hemi, that one requires some work on a stock cover. probably easier to go the other route.

What would be the difference between the nylon and the solid aluminum button? The Diamond is prefured?
You said "Othe route" which would be? Sorry, I missed it.

What would be the difference between the nylon and the solid aluminum button? The Diamond is prefured?
You said "Othe route" which would be? Sorry, I missed it.

by other route i was referring back to the alum or nylon. the nylon is a little easier then the aluminum to grind down. but i don't see a real benefit to either. i've used both with no issues. the Diamond is nice but like i said its not really meant to work under a stock cover. the last couple of big blocks i've built i just used the nylon.

-
Back