Roller Rocker failures (personal experience only)

-

MomsDuster

Reaction score
Hey folks I’m curious as to how many of you have personally experienced roller rocker failures. Not looking for the I had a friend, or I heard, I’m looking for real life personal experience. Curious as to what failed, the brand, the cause, the circumstances etc.

Never had a rocker failure ever in my life because i spend good money on quality parts. Too many times guys buy cheap offshore junk parts to fit their BUDGET, then wonder why they break. On my 1000hp BBC with nitrous i had Crane gold race rockers and a stud girdle. At that point i should have went with a Jessel shaft setup, would have been $200 more than the rockers and stud girdle i had. $1200.00. The comp roller rockers on my current big block dodge were $660.00 Moral of the story, buy junk get junk.

I also haven't experienced a rocker arm failure with any of my Mopars, but then again as stated above I used quality parts.

I've seen plenty of busted up rocker arms. Usually it is because the guy left them in the engine for too many races but sometimes they'll break for other reasons. The higher quality rocker arms don't break as often as the cheap stuff. Some of the really cheap stuff won't even work right out of the box.

Depending on the camshaft you are going to run, will determine how much valve spring open pressure you will have, just make sure you buy a good quality rocker arm that can handle the abuse and harmonics. Cams now, have more aggressive ramps, and they slam those vales open and closed at a violent rate.

I've had quite a few customers break rocker arms.......before they were my customer. It comes down to application, and installation.

If a Proform rocker is used on a solid roller, you can bet it will have a short life. If the rocker is correct for the application, but isn't set up properly i.e. fitment and geometry, it too will have a shortened life span.

You have to ask yourself, "what do I intend to do the engine, and what rocker will be durable enough to live in that environment, all while fitting the build budget". Everyone has a budget, and to throw extra money at parts that are overkill or unnecessary, is just a waste of hard earned dollars. If someone wants to sleep better by buying expensive parts when not necessary, that is certainly their perogative, but it does add to the cost without any gain in performance, and many times no added durability.

For builds that need a top notch rocker, I have T&D make rockers to my spec. That is the only way to get good rocker geometry, because none of the "off the shelf" rockers are correct, regardless of the brand or country of origin. They can be helped, and acceptable for moderate builds, but will always be a compromise when it comes to geometry.

Hi jack warning:

Speaking of BB rocker geometry, when's your next tech article going to be on your site?

Hi jack warning:

Speaking of BB rocker geometry, when's your next tech article going to be on your site?
I know! I should do that real soon. I'll add it to my "to do" list. I need some website changes, too.

I'm not trying to be pushy, honestly just wanted to read/learn
Not taken that way at all. I just need to put my other work aside for a bit and write a tech article or two. There is so much to cover, I could spend months on tech articles alone, lol.

had a adjuster break on a H/S rocker ... Got a rocker from Hughes with no roller. Ran a set of Norris Stainless on a W2 setup without any failures.

-
Back