Roller rockers and Commando valve covers

-

65Valiant_NC

Reaction score
I have Commando valve covers on my 340 and when I built the motor I just put regular stamped rockers on it. I originally wanted to put Comp Pro Magnum roller rocker arms on it but didn't have the cash at the time. Two questions.....will these rockers work with the Commando valve covers? Are these a good choice or is there some options some of you have used in this situation? I have a Lunati Voodoo HFT cam .494/.513 lift. I am not opposed to doing some creative baffle massaging if needed.

The Commando valve covers will work if you put spacers between the valve covers and the heads. Spacers are aluminum and shaped like a valve cover gasket. You should be able to see them in the pic below. Can't remember if one was enough or I had to use two. Problem is, I can't remember where I got them - I think from someone on Moparts.

#7 intake valve.jpg

Actually, some time later, one of the Commando valve covers cracked right next to one of the bolt holes (had nothing to do with the spacers), so I switched to Offenhauser finned aluminum valve covers. They cleared the Comp rockers without the spacers, so I don't use them any more. Went out to the garage and I have only one pair of the spacers hanging on the wall, so I must have used one spacer on each side, with one valve cover gasket under the spacer, and one on top. I'm saving mine in case I ever go back to the Commando valve covers, but this is what they look like.

20211124_220830.jpg

As for whether the Comp rockers are a good choice, I'll just say that the only reason I used them on my 360 is I had an almost new set in my parts stash (long story), and when I found out that the Crane iron adjustable rockers were now over $500, it was any easy choice to go with the FREE Comps, even if I did have to buy a couple of spacers to use them with my factory Commando valve covers. Haven't had any problem with them, though.

You will have to buy a set of pushrods for the Comp rockers (or any adustable rockers), as the OEM pushrods for the OEM style stamped rocker won't fit the Comp rockers or any other adjustable rocker. Again, I raided my stash for a set that were the right length and style to work with the Comp rockers and hydraulic lifters. I think they are pushrods for a solid cam and Crane/factory iron adjustable rockers, that just happened to be the right length for a hydraulic cam and the Comp rockers (what are the chances?). For a solid cam and Comp rockers, probably would have to get a set of custom length pushrods. (I have a set of them, too.)

What thickness spacer worked for you? What gaskets did you find worked well with the spacers? I'm not opposed to using the spacers but I no experience with them.

I'd guess the spacers were quarter inch? Gaskets, factory cork style.

The Crane style iron adjustable rockers will fit without a spacer. Just saying . . . .

I have comp aluminum roller rockers with my 273 Commando covers and plain old cork gaskets and they fit fine

-
Back