Rolling Resto?

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to have a rolling resto? I have my 65 home and would like to get it up and running so I can drive it while fixing it up. I don't have a garage to really do it up right,that can come later.

How hard is it to rebuild a 2bbl carb?

Can a gas tank be repaired? I do not know how bad the rust holes are until I pull the tank this weekend after I put the dash back in.

Here are a couple of pictures of my dash area,if anyone has any tips it sure would be appreciated. (NOTE) all the bolts and parts were thrown in a box so I am not sure which bolts will work.

100_2369-600.jpg

100_2373-600.jpg

I am attempting a rolling resto myself. So far it is a lot more rolling than resto. That is of course due to lack of time and money, I have 2 kids. But they love to ride to school in the mornings in the old wagon. I have heard it said if it is not driving you will never work on it, so there is that side of it too. Good luck, and have fun

Tim

I am attempting a rolling resto myself. So far it is a lot more rolling than resto. That is of course due to lack of time and money, I have 2 kids. But they love to ride to school in the mornings in the old wagon. I have heard it said if it is not driving you will never work on it, so there is that side of it too. Good luck, and have fun

Tim

Thanks, I have time and less money than I would like but getting it up and running with gas prices will make it easier.

the carb should be easy to rebuild. im not much of a mechanic and i can do it. look online and you might find step by step procedures. most people will take them apart and let them soak in carb cleaner overnight, then just put it back together using a kit, which may have diagrams to help.as far as setting the mixture , i have always screwed it in all the way and backed it out 3.5 revolutions and tuned from that point. this is how i have done it, im sure there are people on here who could help you better.as far as the gas tank, i would imagine if its something minor , then it could be repaired. if theres alot of rust , you would be better off replacing it.

Hey man,

It is possible to have a rolling resto! Obviousy a few things may require the help of a friend, or the use of a buddys driveway/garage for the weekend, but it is doable.
I live in an apartment complex, and have learned that it helps to have EVERYTHING ready ahead of time for the task at hand. Living in an aprtment forces me to carefully think out the order in which I execute each "project" I take on, so that I complete it in a timely manner, and keep the car driveable. In keeping the car "rolling", I look at each project carefully from all sides, and ask myself "if I change/restore ___ part, will I have to change out ___ and ___as well?" "what else will be effected by restoring ___?" I have seen simple tasks turn into overwhelming projects, fortunetely not on my car so far. I wish I had a garage to just strip it all down and start from the ground up.

I am still in the "gathering" stage, but I am planning to do an engine swap on my car, w/o my manager eve knowing. :grin:

As for putting your dash/ interior back together, A health combo of good member advice on this site, and a service manual for your car!:iconbigg:

I wish I had a service manual right now,but it's one of those items that will have to wait. I just need to get most of it back together and running. I will be doing some work on it tomorrow. I am hoping the gas tank won't be too bad,if not a good cleaning and seal will help it along.

I know the felling not having a shop 8) The same here :grin:
Give me some time and I bet there is a down loud service manual here some where a member has that can help you out, I think abodyjoe was the one who has a thread started here so you can down load it to your computer
I will see if I can find it and get back to you rebel 8)
If I remember right you have a 65 barracuda ? should be allot of the same as a 66 Valiant for info :read2:

I know the felling not having a shop 8) The same here :grin:
Give me some time and I bet there is a down loud service manual here some where a member has that can help you out, I think abodyjoe was the one who has a thread started here so you can down load it to your computer
I will see if I can find it and get back to you rebel 8)
If I remember right you have a 65 barracuda ? should be allot of the same as a 66 Valiant for info :read2:

Thanks Mike and call me Cliff. Yes I have a 65 Barracuda. I might be hitingyou up on some /6 info later if that is ok?

Thanks Mike and call me Cliff. Yes I have a 65 Barracuda. I might be hitingyou up on some /6 info later if that is ok?
Any time Cliff :cheers:, I just got dun crawling on the ground pulling an axle out of Victoria today and had all of that I wanted for today :clock:
It's in my restoration thread I just updated.
If I miss something you need help with just shoot me a pm and I will help all I can Cliff 8)8)

Any time Cliff :cheers:, I just got dun crawling on the ground pulling an axle out of Victoria today and had all of that I wanted for today :clock:
It's in my restoration thread I just updated.
If I miss something you need help with just shoot me a pm and I will help all I can Cliff 8)8)

Thanks, I really like what you have done with your car. I am still debating about keeping my /6 or drop in a sbm (which seems to be the norm)

Thanks, I really like what you have done with your car. I am still debating about keeping my /6 or drop in a sbm (which seems to be the norm)
If you have a trans and sb go with your hart and go for it, You will have the barracuda a long time , Enjoy is the main thing and thank you Cliff :cheers:
My slant has been fun and easy one step at a time :happy10:

If you have a trans and sb go with your hart and go for it, You will have the barracuda a long time , Enjoy is the main thing and thank you Cliff :cheers:
My slant has been fun and easy one step at a time :happy10:

No I don't have a sb but still have the / in my car. I also need to find out if a 8.25 rear out of a 73 Duster will fit in my car. I'm thinking it will be too wide. Wasn't there a guide here to tell what would interchange? Which I am looking for now

I found this and if it is right the 8.25 rear is shorter than the 7.25 correct?

rearaxledemensions.jpg

Hay Cliff :cheers: Here is a 66 down load manual that I was talking about.
it will be the same on most of your 65 barracuda and it covers every thing :cheers:
go to the 10th post and you will see the 66 model manual 67Dart273 added for us

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=service+manual

sorry it took so long, I had dinner and had to take a nap and relaxed after pulling my axle :happy10:
I hope that chart is correct :read2: I sure would like a 8 1/4 in my 66 Valiant

Hay Cliff :cheers: Here is a 66 down load manual that I was talking about.
it will be the same on most of your 65 barracuda and it covers every thing :cheers:
go to the 10th post and you will see the 66 model manual

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=service+manual

sorry it took so long, I had dinner and had to take a nap and relaxed after pulling my axle :happy10:
I hope that chart is correct :read2: I sure would like a 8 1/4 in my 66 Valiant

Thanks, Mike I will get it down loaded I will need it tomorrow. I'm still reading your thread and I am totally blown away.

I didn't get to work on my car today like I hoped. Had to get my backyard cleaned out so I can move my car to a safer place to work on it. I did get to do some checking and took some pictures. The gas tank looks surprisingly good from what I could see so looks like a good cleaning and sealing will help.
100_2375-600.jpg

100_2376-600.jpg

100_2380-600.jpg

100_2381-600.jpg

100_2386-600.jpg

100_2387-600.jpg

100_2388-600.jpg

Well this thread title should be changed to What did I get myself into?

After we got mu Barracuda moved into the new outdoor garage,my youngest wanted to see how bad the bondo was on the lower left fender.](*,)

So he took one of my heavy putty knives to knock some out. And we seen the fender had been patched.
100_2390-600.jpg

So I got my grinder out to finish what he started. One of the previous owners tried to patch it and would have come out decent if they had took more time with it. But instead of cutting it all out and welding it in they just laid the patch over the fender and popped riveted it.
100_2393-600.jpg

100_2394-600.jpg

So I finished grinding out what I could today wiped it all down with paint thinner and shot it with rustoleum primer sealer to help protect it some until I can find new parts.

100_2401-600.jpg

So my dream of having a rolling resto has come to a end and now I will start collecting parts and build a dirt floor garage to do the work in.

cliff I do have some parts here that are way better than what ya got now...so now you have a good excuse to come to the "Flip Flop Inn" just tell the wifey your goin shoppin...better hope she don't ask ya to bring back bread or milk :happy1:

P.S. get me some pic's of both doors and bumpers and anything on the car....you'll be like a kid in a candy store over here

cliff I do have some parts here that are way better than what ya got now...so now you have a good excuse to come to the "Flip Flop Inn" just tell the wifey your goin shoppin...better hope she don't ask ya to bring back bread or milk :happy1:

Have bedroom on wheels. Pm me a price so I can get kicked out now :lol:

P.S. get me some pic's of both doors and bumpers and anything on the car....you'll be like a kid in a candy store over here

Dang my wife caught me. She wants to tell you something. He doesn't need an excuse cause he want be alone. Dang I was busted.

Just bring a truck and a Lil bit o moolah....I not tryin to get rich I'll treat ya right....Wagg's Honor :icon_smi:
Have bedroom on wheels. Pm me a price so I can get kicked out now :lol:

kicked out now Lol,i'll take a peek in the beer can colection tomorrow and see what I got for ya and get some pic's

Just bring a truck and a Lil bit o moolah....I not tryin to get rich I'll treat ya right....Wagg's Honor :icon_smi:

No problem except the truck part. I will have to drive my wife C Van I can't say the word.

-
Back