Rollmaster billet timing set: Nitrided?

Mopar General Discussions

1. QuickDart360

QuickDart360 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:49 PM
    Ok fellas got a question. Found a rollmaster cs 5000 billet timing set so far so good. Then came across part # cs 5010 which shows same timing set except this has nitrided sprockets!:eek: So my question here is why nitriding? I assumed/thought that billet gears were tough already! Is this process overkill or is it something to consider? I am considering trying this brand. I am removing a cloyes true roller race set. It has some slack not alot but figure it is a good time to put a new timing set. What do you all use? Does the regular timing set work just fine?

2. RustyRatRod

RustyRatRod Bla de blizhibliz de blatde blizi bla bla FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    12:49 AM
    Nitriding is case hardening of the surface of steel. I have never heard of a timing set being nitrided. I guess I've not built anything exotic enough to warrant it. Never thought about it. Crankshafts........that's another matter. I can completely see where that would be of use. I have a Rollmaster set for the 225 slant I plan to build sometime in the future. I wouldn't and haven't thought of having it nitrided. It's just not something I would worry about. They are extremely high quality to begin with.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.