Rollmaster billet timing set: Nitrided?

-

QuickDart360

Reaction score
Ok fellas got a question. Found a rollmaster cs 5000 billet timing set so far so good. Then came across part # cs 5010 which shows same timing set except this has nitrided sprockets!:eek: So my question here is why nitriding? I assumed/thought that billet gears were tough already! Is this process overkill or is it something to consider? I am considering trying this brand. I am removing a cloyes true roller race set. It has some slack not alot but figure it is a good time to put a new timing set. What do you all use? Does the regular timing set work just fine?

Nitriding is case hardening of the surface of steel. I have never heard of a timing set being nitrided. I guess I've not built anything exotic enough to warrant it. Never thought about it. Crankshafts........that's another matter. I can completely see where that would be of use. I have a Rollmaster set for the 225 slant I plan to build sometime in the future. I wouldn't and haven't thought of having it nitrided. It's just not something I would worry about. They are extremely high quality to begin with.

-
Back