Roloc disc question

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
If I just want to remove light surface rust and dirt from sheet metal parts that I have already stripped, prior to priming them, what is the best kind of Roloc disc to use? What disc should I use to make the metal clean and shiny without scratching it too much? Bristle disc, flat disc or edge disc? Thanks a lot, Mopar bros!

Maroon colored scotchbrite pad? Used by hand I would say.

I've used bristle discs and roloc green and red. If you let the tool do the work, the surface rust will go away fast, and won't scratch anything. Don't dig into the metal. If you use a good epoxy primer, it will be fine.

I've used bristle discs and roloc green and red. If you let the tool do the work, the surface rust will go away fast, and won't scratch anything. Don't dig into the metal. If you use a good epoxy primer, it will be fine.
The 3M black paint buster discs work real well but are also pricey. Probably the red Rolox discs would work well also. I just don't like Rolox
stuff, especially the sanding discs, because if you catch an edge it can break the screw part that goes in the adaptor. This is just personal
preference.

The 3M black paint buster discs work real well but are also pricey. Probably the red Rolox discs would work well also. I just don't like Rolox
stuff, especially the sanding discs, because if you catch an edge it can break the screw part that goes in the adaptor. This is just personal
preference.

All personal preference. I've never had any negative experience. I did my whole car mostly with bristle discs.

20180630_120856.jpg

20180630_114130.jpg

Bristle discs are great use them lots but they leave a plastic film on the metal and needs to be cleaned off prior to epoxy or etch primer from what I been told by paint reps. so I sand by hand with some 180 grit or whatever before primer then wash the bare metal with prep cleaner.
Don't let bare metal set in a humid condition for to long before you put the epoxy on.
Just my 2 cents...

-
Back