Roof brace question

-

buck351

Reaction score
Has anyone had the roof brace to the roof bond break such that it makes noise on bumps? Years ago I ran over some of those big groves they had in the road before toll booths and after that the brace on the passenger half would make noise on bumps. I know it's that because if I push on it with my hand when hitting bumps it doesn't make the noise. How is the brace attached to the roof on a 67 Dart. Removing the light it looks like solder or some type of adhesive. Looks attached at the light from what you can see but it's only one side.

brace 5.jpg

I think they used body sealer like the sealer between the under hood bracing, you may be able to spray some rubberized under coating in the crack and stop the noise. I saw a dart once that kids played on the roof, it bucked the brace down and the roof would buck up and down, pushed the brace back up and stopped it.

100% Silicone calking will stop that if you just go along that seam like you would do a seam in a shower.
Give it an hour or so before you drive it and done deal.

Thanks for the input. Will require removing the headliner to access it. It's the original headliner so it will have to be replaced since it will not survive removal. I could remove it but probably need to hire some to install the replacement.

You may be able to release the liner on each side and get enough of whatever you decide to use in to make the vibration stop. It doesn't necessarily have to be all the way across on it. A few spots will stop the movement. You can put some through the interior light hole as well. I used seam sealer, but there are many products that will bond and support.

Wanna see a gret adhesive? Pl construction adhesive. Man, that stuff holds. Theres a few choices of products.
I bonded a square steel tube into a cement floor,a removeable vise stand. It put up with a ton of abuse.

-
Back