Roof rail gutter finish?

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I am stripping my roof getting it ready for primer.I looks like the rain gutter was filled with seam seal at the factory.What have you guys who have done a resto. in the past done with this area.Dig out all the seam sealer and fill it back in with filler?Mine has a few hairline cracks in it and looks better than some finished cars I have seen.Or should I spot putty the cracks and leave it alone.This area is one of my pet peeves.I have seen some really nice cars and this area looks like ****...

Thanks,Jim

Attachments

• rail 001.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 139
  • rail 002.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 142
Been down this road and it's a real pain to replace. Two part glaze putty would probably work fine for touch up. If you decide to replace it look into getting some self leveling seam sealer from the auto paint supplier. SEM, 3M, Lord Fusor all make them. I got the best results with Fusor #129.

Pick the wrong stuff and it'll end up in a puddle next to your car. Scroll about half way down this page for my experience: http://70duster440.com/bodypaint.html

If you haven't removed it yet, I suggest just touching up the cracks or other defects with the modern stuff or body glaze.

-
Back