roof trouble

-

goatboy

Reaction score
I am in need of some advice. I have talked to a few friends and have got a variety of answers as I am sure I may get here too. I have a 71 dart that had a vinyl top a some point however the old lady I got it from tore it off some time ago. it has some rust and a couple of small holes. I need to know what the best way to fix it. I have been told to do everything from braise the holes up and wire wheel the rust the put a rust prevention on it and use a metal body filler on it. I have been told to cut the piece out, and put a patch in it. I love my car as much as my wife, and I want to keep her for good. What is the proper thing to do? thanks for any advice here is a pic if that would help. thanks

My roof was ok when I ripped the vinyl off, that seam on my 74 Dart is just soft filler.

But the trunk was pretty rusty, I used KBS rust system on it.

Just wire wheel all the rust away and fill the seam with bondo. Aurozone has a small inexpensive filler kit perfect for that job.

i would wire wheel it and see how bad it really is. if there are holes then i would weld thm up and fill over them. don't use filler to close the hole.

thanks, I am going to wire wheel it and see where it is. How hard is it to put the headliner, and would I even be able to see the seem if I did pull it?

GB, I have the same issue with my '71 in the same exact area.
I've not been brave enough to remove the top yet, but I'm probably going to see the same thing you found.
I think Dodge needs to be informed of this design problem. I'm certain they would, out of the goodness of their corporate hearts, issue a recall and repair our cars for free...

If it's big and bad, weld it shut........If not too awful bad, clean it up and use short strand fiberglass filler...pack it in well, and shape it in with a putty knife & plastic applicator.......

After this, use a THIN coat of plastic to smooth it out. The glass resin will seal it well if done properly. 8)

-
Back