Rookie mistake

-

FJ5

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my engine I just finished building. Being a rookie engine builder I was very proud of myself. I think it looks like a work of art.

Now I get to take it all back a part.

I was checking out hughes engine web site from a link about spark plugs. There I saw a picture of the instruction sheet from my Keith Black HU pistons. I notice in the picture that there is a left and right side. I failed to notice this when I was putting the engine together. So I go back and check the photos that I was forunate enough to take and sure enough, all mixed up. Exhaust and intake relief are in the wrong positions. Rookie effing mistake. UGGH!!!View attachment image.jpg

Eventhough I'm pissed with myself I'm relieved I did catch it before I fired it up and caused major damage.

You didn't check valce to piston clearance when assembling the motor?

x3 Better now than later.

Engine looks Real good.
good luck on Your re rebuild.
mine engine is still in pieces, hopefully I get it back from machinists next week

At least you didn't start if up.
If you had, this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTlH2KppTw0&feature=youtu.be"]2013 12 11 16 50 48 580 - YouTube[/ame] is exactly how it would have sounded. Exactly................

The REAL rookie mistake wouldda been bustin it off like that. You made an experienced rookie mistake. Good catch. Now all you are out is time and gaskets.

Well, got up this morning and went to the shop to fix my "rookie mistake". I used a flash light to look in the spark plug hole but couldn't really see very well. Rechecked pictures and was definately convinced I had made a big mistake. I did check piston to valve clearance when I assembled the motor, but thought I must have done it on a piston that was installed in the correct location. So i pull the valve covers intake and left cylinder head. Turns out that the pictures I was looking at were really kinda off angle. Kieth Black HU pistons(at least the ones I have) have the same size valve relief for intake and exhaust. So I just wasted my time and money only to see that the pistons are installed correctly. Rookie mistake # ??? Now I get to order new gaskets. I did find a piece of emery cloth in the intake that was about 1 inch by 1/2 inch long. So I guess it wasn't a list cause. Sorry for the rant.
Jon

Well, got up this morning and went to the shop to fix my "rookie mistake". I used a flash light to look in the spark plug hole but couldn't really see very well. Rechecked pictures and was definately convinced I had made a big mistake. I did check piston to valve clearance when I assembled the motor, but thought I must have done it on a piston that was installed in the correct location. So i pull the valve covers intake and left cylinder head. Turns out that the pictures I was looking at were really kinda off angle. Kieth Black HU pistons(at least the ones I have) have the same size valve relief for intake and exhaust. So I just wasted my time and money only to see that the pistons are installed correctly. Rookie mistake # ??? Now I get to order new gaskets. I did find a piece of emery cloth in the intake that was about 1 inch by 1/2 inch long. So I guess it wasn't a list cause. Sorry for the rant.
Jon
Better safe than sorry.....and it was a good thing you took it apart....that emery cloth would have done a number on something if you had not found it....

I'm a computer genius, mechanical no, but i've found every time I had to redo something I found a catastrophic failure waiting to be launched. I triple check everything I do on the internals. PERIOD.

I stare at the engine thinking about everything I've done for hours, because I am not sure the timing chain / water pump / oil pump replacement job I did was perfect.

I turn the engine by hand to hear it breathe. I pull the distributor cam to see it build oil pressure. I'm very thorough when it comes to hundreds of hours and money clanking into scrap.

Every time I found small errors, I found bigger mistakes that were catastrophic to the engine, waiting for me to "fire it up" in haste.

Crap in the intake, loose or missing bolts, fuel leaks, and more waiting to blow up because I worked on this thing for YEARS and all I wanted was for it to run.

Patience and observance, if its a bad sound, shut it down! Look for the problem, it's always something simple, its just a billion simple things.

Your time was well invested to be sure....the STUPID rookie mistake would have been to not take it apart. You done good! Hope all runs fantastic!

You did the right thing in taking the heads off.

And even experienced builders make that "rookie mistake" usually with bad consequences.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8028090&an=0&page=14#Post8028090

8095780-photo2.JPG

It happens. A friends 416 is now a 418 because of that. The shop missed it. Made it past cam break in, made it past lashing to spec. But when it was winging down the highway on it's maiden voyage to his beach house - bang...

you did trial fit AND stood there and thought a little. thats great. when i worked in the machine shop and a big machine crashed we would yell "thats the way i would do it" and clap our hands. a little thinking AND ask a few Qs can save trouble. you did great.

Everybody does them...we ended having to pull the engine /trans/suspension after installation to install the view plate on the trans.. there goes 2 days :)

You can see on the adjacent piston where the intake valve was trying to enlarge the exhaust cutout. That engine made one pass and broke on the second. Turned over fine. E/I-I/E-E/I-I/E so easy to forget.

I have done that before.... 4 where rite and the other 4 where wrong...lol
Kind of funny now.....
Glad You looked !!!!!! Better safe than sorry....

There is no mistake to checking and double checking your work or verifying an install.

-
Back