rotary phone

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
hey guys I am looking for a working or non working BLACK wall mount rotary phone for my appartment it has a place that need a phone mounted and I need somthing to put there I want a older vintage looking one but as long as it black and a rotary wall mount thats what I am looking for anyone have one?

p.s Im 21 didnt think I knew what a rotary phone was did ya? ;)

"Back when" I was going to electronics tech school in the Navy at Treasure Island, our amateur radio club had a problem whereby someone had made an unauthorized toll call, so they put a lock on the dial in the first hole.

I got a lot of shocked looks when I said, "heck, I can dial one of those by just jabbing the buttons."

Ha Ha. I remember when the Princess phone was a big deal. When I got my first apartment I refused to get a touch-tone phone because you had to pay extra each month for touch-tone service. That was in 1977. When I was a kid we had a party line. When I was in first grade I lived with my great aunt & uncle. Their phone would ring & they wouldn't answer it. When I asked why they told me it wasn't their ring. The town was so small that you had to listen for the phone to ring a certain way to know if it was for you! 1963!

When I go to my neighbors later I will look. I remember seeing a rotoary phone in his pile of "things"........

hey guys I am looking for a working or non working BLACK wall mount rotary phone for my appartment it has a place that need a phone mounted and I need somthing to put there I want a older vintage looking one but as long as it black and a rotary wall mount thats what I am looking for anyone have one?

p.s Im 21 didnt think I knew what a rotary phone was did ya? ;)

did you check egag?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/vintage-1950s-bl...230?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb460a0ae

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Vintage-ITT-Blac...499?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0e75d823

http://cgi.ebay.ca/VTG-1960s-BLACK-...816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8d27e08

Phones such as you describe are always readily available on eBay. I like the art-deco bakelite Automatic Electric #50, myself, but that may be older than you have in mind.

Waggling a hand over the hookswitch to dial numbers despite a locked or missing dial: Yep. There's a knack to it.

Extra charge for touch-tone service: Yep. Many phone companies still charge it despite it costing them more to provide compatibility with "pulse" (rotary) dialing. Yet another money grab.

Yeah. This guy has them. http://www.oldphones.com/servlet/StoreFront Real nice guy. I have restored a few. I have an original Western Electric candlestick phone I restored for my wife a while back, ringset and all. He has all kinda phones and parts.

ha ha i have 2 of them 1 desk and 1 wall
and the they both work

Attachments

• Picture 240.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Picture 241.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Picture 242.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Picture 243.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 178
If I had "extra" money, I'd get one of these. Click the basic model and read the description.
YES !! That is so cool !

Back in the early 90's , I had another telecommunications relic : a Tele-Type ! It even had a big , full roll of "TWX-Telex" paper on it .

These days , I give my cell phone number out as : " WYoming-0 ... " , and it's great to see how many people either forgot about or never knew about Exchange Names .
:read2:

Yep! I use my named exchange (LAkeview in Seattle, ROgers in Toronto) whenever I can reasonably expect at least a glimmer of recognition from whoever I'm talking to. Someone ought to release a cover of Tommy Tutone's 1982 hit, TOwnsend 7-5309

(Not sure what your named exchange was? See this handy chart.)

Love the rotary cell phone. People would probably think you were crazy if they saw you walking down the street talking on one though!

I can still remember my exchange # from when I was a kid. HUnter 3-7268

Even better than walking down the street: Set it on the far corner of your table at a restaurant. When it rings, holler "I GOT IT!" and answer it.

I'm 19 and know what they are, I think there really neat

Yeah, that's because you didn't spend the first part of your life having to spin that dial. I still have the black desk phone my grandparents had installed when my dad was 12. when my cordless goes dead, it's my back-up. One of life's little reminders of how it used to be.

I may have the wall unit in my attic- Iremember thinking how cool it would be in my old (1926) house. I'll check tomorrow after work.

Someone ought to release a cover of Tommy Tutone's 1982 hit, TOwnsend 7-5309

(Not sure what your named exchange was? See this handy chart.)

Thanks for the Exchange Name chart 8) .

In Whittier Ca , there were a few different e.n.'s :

OXford 2, 8 and 9

OXbow 3 , 5 , 6

WHithal 3 ,5 , 7

WHitney 1 , 2 , 6

Funny you should mention Tommy Tutone's " 867-5309 ( Jenny)" .
When I was in high school ( mid 80's ) , there was a psychedelic band that some friends had . They did an Arthur Lee & Love-style version of that song , but called it "TOpaz-75309" , as TOpaz was the local exchange for Downey / Santa Fe Springs .

my grandparents exchange was Melrose
and ours was Victor
when I got my cell phone I was able to choose a number from a list of available # and I was able to get Victor

-
Back