Rotating assembly weigh

-

1970Duster

Reaction score
I post under general because it involves both sb and b/rb. I does anybody know the weigh of the factory rotating assembly of a 68-70 340? How about a 273, 318-360-383-400-426 (both wedge and Hemi) and the 440? When compare the weight of the factory rotating assembly to an aftermarket one (be it h beam or I beam) you still come out lighter! I have a forged eagle crank forged eagle h beam rods (am sure this part makes me about equal to factory) and to top it off I have ross racing piston which are forged aluminum and I can say without a question are much much lighter then factory (oh and total seal gapless piston rings).
Now I do understand the h beams weigh more then I beams and if you going all out racing lighter is better, but what I don't get is that "h beams put more stress on the block/rotating assembly then an I beam" but again when you compare the weight of the factory stuff to aftermarket stuff how does this put more stress on the block?!?! I don't get it, please I dearly need enlightenment on this one:banghead:
This all started because of an arguement this guy I know was how he is building a 2000hp superchargered motor and lighter is better while I was trying to point out that, at that level you want more strength vs a lighter assembly.

Well you got me there haha. Id have to agree with you on that topic. Strength will most definately be more important than weight. JMO

340 crank ~ 70#

Stock rods ~760 grams ~1.5 pounds

Pistons/pins ~850-870 grams IIRC Almost 2 pounds each

Figure about 3.5 pounds per rod/piston

340 crank ~ 70#

Stock rods ~760 grams ~1.5 pounds

Pistons/pins ~850-870 grams IIRC Almost 2 pounds each

Figure about 3.5 pounds per rod/piston
I know my rods weighed 695 or less (H-Beam rods)
My pistons about 12pounds on the shipping label (I have to go the shop and get actual figures) but that 12 pounds included pistons, pins, retainer, and all the packing material.

-
Back