Rotor replacement on 1967 Dart

-

buck351

Reaction score
I can't remember when or if I have ever replace the front rotors. Probably had them turned at some point. So I was wondering how you actually replace them? I thought I read somewhere that the lugs hold them on to the hub? If so how hard is it to take these off the hubs and will the process damage the lugs? I've never changes lugs before so I don't have any past experiance.

I've changed rotors on my Tacoma but they were bolted to the hub.

Yes the rotor plate is fastened to the hub with the studs. If it was done correctly, the studs should go throught the rotor plate, then through the hub and staked on the outside of the hub so they can't slip back out. When you replace the rotor plate, you need to remove the staked area and then press out the stud to release the rotor plate from the hub. In the past, when you could get the studs easily, you just replaced them. Nowadays, most people try to reuse/restake them if they can.

Yes the rotor plate is fastened to the hub with the studs. If it was done correctly, the studs should go throught the rotor plate, then through the hub and staked on the outside of the hub so they can't slip back out. When you replace the rotor plate, you need to remove the staked area and then press out the stud to release the rotor plate from the hub. In the past, when you could get the studs easily, you just replaced them. Nowadays, most people try to reuse/restake them if they can.

Thanks for the reply. What is "staked"?

I think the studs are available. One of the guys in the shop that did the resto missed the lefthand/righthand lugs and thought some were rusted on. So one front wheel got new studs. I have the extra set they bought for the other side and didn't use. I think they just got them from the local NAPA. Can you get the studs out and back in without a press, which I don't have?

Thanks for the reply. What is "staked"?

I think the studs are available. One of the guys in the shop that did the resto missed the lefthand/righthand lugs and thought some were rusted on. So one front wheel got new studs. I have the extra set they bought for the other side and didn't use. I think they just got them from the local NAPA. Can you get the studs out and back in without a press, which I don't have?
Staking a stud is a process of upsetting the the metal on the shank of the stud to keep it holding tight and from backing out of the hub. Depending on how carried away the installer got, sometimes they'll press out fairly easy.....sometimes you need to use a cutter to remove that metal so you can do the pressing without damaging the hub.

-
Back