Rotors available (for now) for K-H disc brake cars

-
wow that was an event... I closed all conversations so we should be good now so sorry, I didn't think that was how to clear

Saw these R1 rotors on Amazon, and I have a Prime account so thought I'd give them a try:

To make it easy to check the fit without using a hydraulic press to mount them, I took some old hub bolts and ground off the knurling just enough to be able tap the bolts in with a hammer. I have two spare hubs, a pair of spindles, and calipers. I can check a rotor in a few minutes with this setup. The listing shows a machined hat, I received cast hat rotors. Both of the cast hats were oblong, and (sort of) cleared on one side but locked up against the caliper as you tuned them, and the seals rubbed. So, these are a big "fail" as well, but since the shipping and return was $0, it only cost me a little time. In short, these cast hat rotors suck too. they are slightly smaller in diameter than the machined hats, but the rough castings are out of round. I left a negative review on Amazon and included these photos

DSC_6944.JPG
DSC_6954.JPG
DSC_6969.JPG

I also want to share a little trick I came up with to check the hat diameter accurately without having to mount up the rotor. Since the hats are tapered it is hard to measure as they get wider as you get closer to the friction surface. With a mounted brake caliper, I measured the distance from the tip of the rubber seal to the top of the rotor friction surface. It is about 9/16", and found a couple of boards that are very close to that (.58") and lay them on the surface to provide a fixed point for measurement. Using my outside caliper (from Amazon) I can predict if a rotor hat will rub or not. At the seal line you must have .6240" max to clear the seals (and then only about .020") Anything over that will rub. The above cast hat rotors varied due to the oblong shape, but were in the range of .6380" to 6.420" (measured as shown). Below is an unused machined hat rotor that rubs badly and measures about 6.450" at the seal line, as shown.

DSC_6980.JPG

-
Back