rough idle help

-

aarong5

Aaron Grimes
Reaction score
any idea whats causing this, it started after I drove through a puddle a few weeks ago (not sure if that's important) but it started idling really rough like it wasn't running on all cylinders, haven't drove it since until yesterday and it drove great for 40 miles to a show and back then when I got back into town it started doing it again, when your going road speed it does fine but at red lights it would almost die, and did die in a friends driveway and a taco bell parking lot. so I rushed home after that. but have no idea... any suggestions would be great. thanks

Are any of your plug wires shorting out to ground? Check for spark at all plugs.

A great way to see if you are arcing out is to open the hood at night and turn out all the lights that shine on the engine. Start The engine and see if there is a light show going on under your hood. If so, there's your problem.

Could also be a dozen other things, but start with the simple stuff first.

Check wire connections at coil and the coil itself. Inside of cap for water/corrosion.

Check the carb setting to make sure something isn't out of whack.

Inside of cap for water/corrosion..

Very possible you got moisture inside the cap, which caused "carbon tracking" even after the water evaporated from heat. Inspect the cap / rotor carefully, or better, switch a known good pair. If that does not cure the problem, you still have a spare cap and rotor, so no loss.

Not sure if anyone cares but just in case it helps someone else someday, I swapped carbs off of the project demon and the barracuda runs much better now. Just need to adjust the jets a little... So now just gotta get the other carb rebuilt

-
Back