rough idle solved!

-

cdnEHbody

Reaction score
I had posted a few times prior saying my 71 val had a bit of a lope at idle and had done all of the other stuff with not much difference. Buying a spare 1920 yielded me a good carb all around. Good float too!

Spare holley metering block! Removed the big plug on top this time and cleaned that passage that leads behind the main jet. Nice smooth idle now. I think it even runs better while driving....don't think the economizer on the old block was working properly. Either way what a difference! Spare carbs pay off!

the 1920 Eco has a bad habit of the throttle shaft wearing into the carb body and leaking. Nightmare to tune and will have you chasing your tail

I had posted a few times prior saying my 71 val had a bit of a lope at idle and had done all of the other stuff with not much difference. Buying a spare 1920 yielded me a good carb all around. Good float too!

Spare holley metering block! Removed the big plug on top this time and cleaned that passage that leads behind the main jet. Nice smooth idle now. I think it even runs better while driving....don't think the economizer on the old block was working properly. Either way what a difference! Spare carbs pay off!
Is that the big exp plug that you have to drill out in order to get at that passage? And there is a torpedo thing in it and a bearing ball? Let me know because I am having issues with sputter acceleration, and I have rebuild the 1920 but I did not get into that plug mainly because I didn't have a new plug to put in its place. Where do you find that? and pics? thanks

The one opened is the big one on the top. It has a small tube in it and I think it feeds air or idle mixture....it is removable but I didn't need to. It didn't seem super dirty. It could have even been a the different block itself.

-
Back