roughing in front alignment and steering.

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Getting the front alignment roughed in so I can get it to a shop. I have no fancy gauges. I know I can get camber and toe in close nuff. Thinking for the camber a 2x4 against the tire with a angle finder setting at 0 would get me close? then set the toe in! For the steering i want to turn lock to lock and find the center right? I noticed pushing it out to turn it around the other day i had more travel to the right then i did to the left.

Sounds like that ought to get you pretty close. Make sure that you roll it back and forth a few times if you've had the front end up in the air. This will help give it a chance to settle down to ride height and make your measurements more accurate.

If you just put the board against the tire, the bottom bulge of the tire will give you a bad measurement. If you can get it to rest against the rim only that would be better.

I took a big carpenters L-square and measured the distance to the rim edge top and bottom.

i use a pieces of 1 x 1 square tubing about 3 feet long...sit them on a small cinder block to get it up again the rim...and square tubing has a small cut in the to put tape measures in them..use two tape measure...

Really, the big thing is toe. Surely you're not driving 50 miles on the freeway or something?

Camber, you can just 'eyeball' down the side of the car, look at the rear tires.

i use a pieces of 1 x 1 square tubing about 3 feet long...sit them on a small cinder block to get it up again the rim...and square tubing has a small cut in the to put tape measures in them..use two tape measure...

LOL... I think my toe set up is even more primitive.

4 pepsi cans and some 1x1. :)

Camber... bust out some trig

Alright thanks for the help. Watched a few videos. I set the camber and will do toe in this weekend. Now for the steering. Using a manual box i get just bout 4 turns lock to lock. with the wheels all the way left i get 19" from the body to the tire and turned to the right i get 23" same measurement. Thoughts? Really clueless as to where to start.

-
Back