Route 66

-
I haven't been able to drive it yet, but it's on my bucket list! I was able to go out to CA last week (first time ever there) and I had to check out the end of route 66, it was very cool!

Attachments

• rt 66 peer.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 282
  • rt 66 peer 2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 288
  • rt 66 peer 3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 299
when I drive to work, ( 32 mi there), about 12 mi is down Rt 66. well maintained good road on that stretch. it goes thru springfiled, mo.
you would be amazed how many foreign tourists travel rt 66.

Time your road trip on Route 66 so you can attend "Mopars At The Strip" in Las Vegas.
You'll parallel Route 66 from Las Vegas to just before Barstow on your way to SoCal. Contact me before you take your trip and I can tell you where you can get off of Interstate 15 before Barstow and take the old Route 66 on into Victorville. It goes right past Roy Rogers old "Double R Bar" ranch.
Our Inland Mopars Car Club holds our club meetings the first Sunday of each month at a restaurant on Route 66 in Rancho Cucamonga. Y'all are welcome whenever you may be in SoCal. Just let me know for dates and time.

View attachment aCharlieParkers.jpg
Charlie Parkers, not right on RT66 but great place for breakfast and was on Diners Driveins and dives

View attachment aCPinside.jpg

View attachment aCosydog.jpg

Cosy Dog, if I remember correct the guy was in the service and when he got out figured out how to make mass produced corn dog and the official start of selling corndogs

View attachment Acosydog2.jpg

View attachment aTimWilkinson.jpg

Buddy that lives in Springfield, IL got us into see Tim Wilkersons shop, very cool side trip off RT66

View attachment aChurch.jpg

View attachment aHardware.jpg

View attachment Ariston.jpg

Ariston I think was in Linchfield, IL. Great place owners sat with us in private room for lunch and chatted. Had all of us get behind the counter for a picture

View attachment Alantadowntown.jpg

downtown Atlanta, with the bypasses around most towns you actually have to turn off the road onto OLD rt66 to see the towns

Well worth the time to stop.

View attachment Atlanta.jpg

They love tourist (money for them) and they cater to the people. Was too early for lunch so we had pie in restored old storefront resturarant

View attachment Atlantahotdog.jpg

this guy is a popular photo spot, everyone coming into town had to have his picture

View attachment Atlantajudys.jpg

The paintings on the buildings use to be a big deal, but with the computer generated signs sign painting is also a dying art. They pick a town and several sign painters will go paint up the town.

View attachment Atlantalibary.jpg

The library has been turned into a museum, they are not open everyday but they opened it up for us that day. Octagon shape building very cool

The couple in the black shirts were riding a Goldwing and came into town after we did. They hooked up with us and rode along most of the day

View attachment Atlantasign.jpg

View attachment Atlantatourguide.jpg

They have tours of the wood grain elevator, and our spry tour guide was a hoot

View attachment Alantatourguide1.jpg

The older lady on left was tour guide and in her 80's

View attachment Atlantadrink.jpg

Old PBR can in elevator

Right now they are restoring buildings along RT 66 but they are also tearing landmarks down. I hope to get across there while it is still still cool to Get your KICKS on Route 66

My buddy Mike Gatlin did a video of the Route 66 trip in 2009. I did CHICAGO to St. Louis, they went the rest of the way

Here is a demo of the video he did

Enjoy

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CHvDbhStvtE[/ame]

The Mother road.....Route 66. I am sure many have traveled it or even live near it, but I have never been and would love to take a road trip on a section of it, or what's left of it....maybe in 2016 :glasses7:

This thread is dedicated to Route 66, any stories, pictures, feel free to post away :happy1:

Harley & Annabell video

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NaCxSwc0B_k[/ame]

My buddy thinks Annabell passed away last year so Harley might no be so cheriful these days

Here's some pics of Emma Jeans Holland Burger Café just outside Victorville, CA, on the original Route 66.
Small place, 3 tables and about a dozen counter stools but great food! Featured on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives several years ago.
Also seen in the movie "Kill Bill 2".
They're only open for breakfast and lunch, Monday through Saturday.

View attachment emmjeans1.jpg

View attachment emmajeans2.jpg

This is the Trucker Sandwich: tender sliced roast beef, bacon, swiss cheese and Ortega chili on parmesan-crusted grilled sourdough. You gotta try this!
View attachment emmajeans3.jpg

Outstanding breakfasts
View attachment emmajeans4.jpg

Wonderful apple cobbler
View attachment emmajeans5.jpg

When I was on a business trip to Chicago 8 years ago we drove the Route 66 from Peoria to Springfield to see the Lincoln Museum. We had a great time and did see some interesting places.

On our way back we ended up at the Long Branch Saloon! The locals called it the "bra bar" as you can see on the pictures!

We even spotted a nice old Dodge beside the road.

Attachments

• Bild 226.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 266
  • Bild 209.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 253
  • Bild 186.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 242
  • Bild 184.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 245
  • Bild 164.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 238
  • Bild 159.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 243
  • Bild 141.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 234
  • Bild 140.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 230
  • Bild 131.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 253
  • Bild 126.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 247
Williams,Arizona is a nice little town on Rt 66..found a few of the pics I took when I was there.

Ya beat me to that one. :D
I am about 50 miles from Williams and when we go to Cal on visits we see sections of 66 paralleling I40.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 256
I grew up within walking distance of the old chain of rocks bridge. We use to go down and climb around on it. Watched them shoot Escape from New York on it. They wanted to blow it up at the end of the movie but the city wouldn't let them. They open it to car traffic on e a year when they do a rt66 cruise. Here are a couple of pics taken a few years back of dad taking his truck across with one of his friends in his 57

Did the Arizona, New Mexico, Texas section with friends 3 years ago, have to sort some of the photos, great trip.

Did the Arizona, New Mexico, Texas section with friends 3 years ago, have to sort some of the photos, great trip.

used to live 2 blocks north of it in tulsa. pretty decent breakfast at 11th and yale, "talleys cafe" , right on 66. last time I was in there, about 6 drop dead good lookin female waiters!!

Have driven it in cars and on a motorcycle. Definitely a major part of Americana. I remember the first time in Winslow Az. Yes I had to stop and stand on a street corner singing "Standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona". I'm glad I was alone...............

You have to go to Shamrock TX..and check out the Conoco station..it was in the movie Cars. It has some cool neon lighting. Neat building...tho when I went thru there 3days before that they had a hail storm and broke most of the lighting. :(
Also you want to stay at the Blue Swallow Motor court in Tucumcari NM....they couple that run it right now are car people and if you pay cash they will give you a special deal. :) Route 66 still had some pretty active businesses along that stretch.
ElRancho Hotel in Gallup NM is like a museum for all the A list actors in the 50/60s. They use to stay there when making western movies.
We really enjoyed NM...Santa Fe is a cool artsy fartsy town.
Of course you have to stand on the corner of Winslow AZ.

If you ever get the chance to go to Vegas, Don't. Keep driving to Seligman Arizona. The birthplace of the Route 66 Historical Association. It's the setting for the movie "Cars". If you're lucky you'll get to meet Angel Delgadillo. The man who started it all.

08Vacation032.jpg

08Vacation046.jpg

08Vacation047.jpg

08Vacation041.jpg

08Vacation026.jpg

5949970066_4e665437a6.jpg

Man I'd love to drive route 66. Like others have said, it is on my bucket list. Hopefully I have enough life left so I'm able to empty that bucket.

In 2007 we went to Tulsa to see Miss Belvedere brought up from its wet resting place of 50 years. We do events with our Prowlers and we drove part of Route 66 while out there.

In 2009 friends from California drove to Chicago to the start of Route 66 and traveled back to Santa Monica.

With the interest here, why couldn't there be a for a bodies only event?

Schedule part or all of the trip. Pick up people along the way that might be close but cannot do the full trip?

If you plan it THEY WILL COME!

How cool would it be to see a group of Mopars, old and I'm sure some newer traveling Route 66?

I would love to do it in my Dart, but would have to put a different engine in it. The 110 octane swigging 340 would not be good.

I do hope to do it in my Prowler in the next few years.

Just got back from LA last Sunday spent 3 weeks out there kids came up to visit from NZ managed to drive different bits of it on our travels from Palm Springs to Las vegas then on up to the grand Canyon.

Here are some photos of the trip, great time, love to do the rest of the route 66 all the way up.

spend a night here in John Wayne's room.
Great place.

sorry I don't have pics. there is a spot on 66 approaching edge of springfield, mo where the owner is renovating about 6 " cabins" . these are typical 30's-40's rock constructed cabins. for the younger guys, these were in style back then instead of a "motel". these buildings look like 12 x 16 or so! wow!! honeymoon stuff!????? LOL

-
Back