Route 66

-
You know, a few years back we heard a lot of talk about "shovel ready jobs" that we were later told never really existed. I have to wonder how many Americans would like to see Rt66 run it's full length, again in the same track where it used to be. Redo and reopen all the closed sections, and rebuild all the old bridges. Reuse as many of the original structures as possible, any new structures have to have the 1940's-50's-60's architecture (while still meeting all modern building codes for structural safety, ADA, Fire codes and Life safety codes). Restoration to be a true to historic look and feel.

It would be a hugh expenditure of state and federal tax dollars, but look at the number of jobs it would produce, and the small business opportunities it would create. Talk about putting people back to work. From planners, to surveyors, to heavy equipment operators, to pipe fitters, departments of public works, to plumbers, and electricians, construction crews, road crews, to the plethora of General contractors and sub contractors for everything you can imagine from finish plumbing and electrical, to doors and windows, to framers and dry-wallers and painters, to flooring people, to tile workers, to pavers and concrete contractors, to sign makers, and and so many more trades. And when it's done, think of the increase is jobs at small business, from store clerks, to waiters, and janitors, and maintenance people and cooks, and book keepers, and gas stations, and the extra infrastructure to service these places, police, fires, water department, electrical sub stations, phone equipment....

It would be a decades long project from Chicago to LA. A state and federal project that would (IMO) have a good deal of support, and one that would result in 10's of thousands temporary and permanent jobs.

Yes, I understand cons and the obstacles, and the funding issues, and even the confidence mean who would try to use the gullibility of many American to make a quick and phony profit. But, I'd still like to see this country getting involved in POSITIVE projects like this.

Part I-

In the mid to late ‘90’s I was fully engrossed in the computer game “Interstate ‘76”.
IIRC it was the first networked game that players could leave and join dynamically.
The damage model was great- you could tell if you had a flat tire.
The main vehicle the player drives is a representation of a 1970 ‘Cuda.
Kind of a cross between an AAR and a Hemi.
The setting is portions of the SouthWest, heavily influenced by Route 66, circa the mid 1970’s.

Part II-

When I bought my Coronet, I had to drive cross country to pick it up.
This took me along portions of Rt66 in Oklahoma and Texas.
I really enjoyed this trip, although it was the longest drive I’d ever undertaken.
On parts of the trip, I could clearly see where the game developers got level designs from.
I’d find myself saying “cool, this is the “canyon” level, or “this is “Airbase””.

Epilogue-

I did notice that most of the rust free classic cars along the main roadways seem to have already been picked. I did see LOTS of heavier trucks and service vehicles ripe for the picking, though.

I’m stoked that I was able to make that trip, as I consider it one of the great experiences that helps to define “America”.

Note in the screenshots the instrument faces- 100% Mopar. Even the auto gear selector.

Attachments

• interstate76 gauges.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 245
  • interstate-76-rearview.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 252
  • interstate-76 jade.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Interstate76_PC_finger.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 243
You know, a few years back we heard a lot of talk about "shovel ready jobs" that we were later told never really existed. I have to wonder how many Americans would like to see Rt66 run it's full length, again in the same track where it used to be. Redo and reopen all the closed sections, and rebuild all the old bridges. Reuse as many of the original structures as possible, any new structures have to have the 1940's-50's-60's architecture (while still meeting all modern building codes for structural safety, ADA, Fire codes and Life safety codes). Restoration to be a true to historic look and feel.

It would be a hugh expenditure of state and federal tax dollars, but look at the number of jobs it would produce, and the small business opportunities it would create. Talk about putting people back to work. From planners, to surveyors, to heavy equipment operators, to pipe fitters, departments of public works, to plumbers, and electricians, construction crews, road crews, to the plethora of General contractors and sub contractors for everything you can imagine from finish plumbing and electrical, to doors and windows, to framers and dry-wallers and painters, to flooring people, to tile workers, to pavers and concrete contractors, to sign makers, and and so many more trades. And when it's done, think of the increase is jobs at small business, from store clerks, to waiters, and janitors, and maintenance people and cooks, and book keepers, and gas stations, and the extra infrastructure to service these places, police, fires, water department, electrical sub stations, phone equipment....

It would be a decades long project from Chicago to LA. A state and federal project that would (IMO) have a good deal of support, and one that would result in 10's of thousands temporary and permanent jobs.

Yes, I understand cons and the obstacles, and the funding issues, and even the confidence mean who would try to use the gullibility of many American to make a quick and phony profit. But, I'd still like to see this country getting involved in POSITIVE projects like this.

the section of old 66 I drive to work ( when I get to work), is well maintained, runs pretty much parallel to I44, it has "fair" amount of traffic for Missouri. not sure why they spwnd th $$ to keep it well surfaced. Mo was whinning about way short of budget to maintain the staes roads. have only enough $$$ now to keep up interstate and major highways.

I like your idea but doubt it would ever get considered. way too many major highway bridges , for instance, that will have to be replaced soon. its amazing how many foreign tourists travel old 66 every year.

I love the American cars and a big part of it is the Route 66.
Everyone I know who has the same interest, American cars, also loves to do a trip on Route 66.

It is a BIG part of American history and life, so we save and do the trip at least once.

What I found on my visit to America is how many people don't travel, even in the US, and have not seen other states or countries.

I know it is a big country and costs a lot to travel.

I used to have a 5 foot USA map on my wall.

I had a full sized push pin in every city I'd spent any time in and smaller round head pin in places I had stopped in just passing through.

I love the American cars and a big part of it is the Route 66.
Everyone I know who has the same interest, American cars, also loves to do a trip on Route 66.

It is a BIG part of American history and life, so we save and do the trip at least once.

What I found on my visit to America is how many people don't travel, even in the US, and have not seen other states or countries.

I know it is a big country and costs a lot to travel.

this might be the year you foreigners need to run the u s roads!!! gas may never be this cheap again. if you guys make it here, your welcome to crash here at my place. just 20 mi from old 66.

Burrows walking down US66 in Oatman,AZ

Attachments

• 0120151743.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 0120151644a.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 194
  • 0120151644.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 207
what a cool thread.

the map in post number 5 had me excited thinking route 66 came through Colorado and on that map it looked like it wasn't to far away from me .....then post 6 shows a better map and sadly it does not come through Colorado at all.

It does through New Mexico which is not totally out of the question from here. :)

This thread is so cool

springfield, Mo has been advertising their ( I think ) first rt 666 festival. it is sometime in aug. they claim to be the "birthplace" of rt 66 for what that's worth!???
there has been a huge multi make s wap ) 99 % gm), at the fair grounds there for decades. they are advertising for car shgow, "vendor" area, ( crap???), i'm sure details can be found on the "puter". they have been advertising this event for a couple of months on the tv.

springfield, Mo has been advertising their ( I think ) first rt 666 festival. it is sometime in aug. they claim to be the "birthplace" of rt 66 for what that's worth!???
there has been a huge multi make s wap ) 99 % gm), at the fair grounds there for decades. they are advertising for car shgow, "vendor" area, ( crap???), i'm sure details can be found on the "puter". they have been advertising this event for a couple of months on the tv.

Yes it is and I have seen it on the tube here barbee6043 :glasses7:

http://www.route66festivalsgf.com/

Part of Route 66 runs about 30 or so miles from here, and on across Arizona over to California.

The route we take when we go to my Mother in law's house in CA crosses and parallels Route 66 in multiple locations and also crosses the James Dean Memorial on Hwy 58 that goes from Bakersfield CA to Paso Robles CA.

I took a few pics of the James Dean Memorial but they were to blurry to keep this trip.
Next time we go I'll stop and get some good pics of it for you guys and gals.

Here's where we stopped for gas in Kingman AZ on a section of 66 on our last trip over.

Second pic is the Roadkill Café in Kingman AZ.

Attachments

• today 019a.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 161
  • today 017a.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 166
Lemme know when you make that drive. You'll go right past my town and it'd be a pleasure to cruise some of those miles off with ya! (in a mopar, with any luck)

Rt 66 is within 3 miles of my house. Back in the early 80's when it was still 4 lane between Litchfield and Mt. Olive we raced on it nearly every Saturday night. Sometimes we'd have 15-20 cars out there taking turns. Me and the wife have talked about some day cruising it but never seem to get ahead enough

Route 66 auto museum, Santa Rosa, NM Very nice folks. Hope they are both still are there alive and well.

Here's my pics

Attachments

• 006 (Medium).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 004.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 85
  • ARIZONA 008.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 89
  • ARIZONA 007.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 82
  • ARIZONA 006.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 114
  • ARIZONA 005.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 110
  • ARIZONA 004.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 108
  • ARIZONA 003 (Medium).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 115
  • ARIZONA 002 (Medium).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 116
  • ARIZONA 001 (Medium).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 82
Some more

Attachments

• 190 (Medium).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 184 (Medium).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 175 (Medium).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 160.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 026 (Medium).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 022.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 99
  • 021 (Medium).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 020.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 017.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 99
Couple more

Attachments

• 188.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 187 (Medium).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 179.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 191 (Medium).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 025.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 101
dartjack,just passed thru Santa Rosa a few weeks ago. Yep the auto museum is still open. The Denny's has closed.Some businesses are keeping their doors open.Sad to say it looks like a ghost town..

that BMW almost looks like sally from Cars

That BMW had the worst seats ever to drive on a trip. I think BMW stretched
leather over a piece of concrete. We drove that thing to Phoenix and back, 'bout killed
me. We passed it on to our nephew for $10.00

That was a deal for us....I was gonna give it to him:D

-
Back