Royal Purple Questions!

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
As some of you may know....I was the winner of the Fabo commercial contest. In which I won a free case of Royal Purple engine oil.

I have a 1967 318LA (full description in my restoration thread...link located in my signature below). Mild build,mild cam,.030 over poly pistons,headers,eddy intake and carb....mostly basic stuff.

I will be using regular engine oil for the first 1,000 miles or so to run through the semi fresh engine.

My question is this.......I have heard that you cant switch to synthetic oils after using regular oil....and I also heard you cant switch to regular oil after using synthetic oils......is htere any truth to this?

I have always been under the impression that the two oils dont blend and actually stand on top of one another like water and oil mixed together and will cause engine wear.

I wanted to ask you guys and find out for sure.....sorry if its a dumb question but I just want to make sure on these things is all.

Also what viscosity of oil is recommended for my set up in the Royal Purple engine oil?

and do I have to use a specific oil filter? or will my trusty brand of mopar oil filter work fine?

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

My short and sweet answer...

IMO

It's bunk, they mix.
if it leaks, and you add syn, it will leak more, burn more if it burns, etc.
I swap once a year, to conventional oil for a bit, because of reason I dont feel like arguing about.
I run 15W40 diesel Royal Purple when I use RP. Same when I run AMS. My smallblocks like it.
Baldwin filters are never a bad choice.

thats all

Yup I also was aware of more prominent leaks and smoke if it was a pre existing problem....but my engine is fresh so none of that should be of any concern.

Thanks for the input.

any other takers?

The leak more and burn more is bunk too.

As far as mixing go I am surprised that one even comes up anymore with the oil manufacturers doing it for you. If you notice right between the conventional oil and synthetic oil at you local retailer is the synthetic blend. Thos oils are some where around 1/3 synthetic mixed with 2/3 conventional.

Congrads on the win!

My question is this.......I have heard that you cant switch to synthetic oils after using regular oil....and I also heard you cant switch to regular oil after using synthetic oils......is htere any truth to this?

I have always been under the impression that the two oils dont blend and actually stand on top of one another like water and oil mixed together and will cause engine wear.

I'm with the other 2 posts. You can mix them. Early sythn. and dino oils couldn't mix. That was... what? 30+ years ago? You'll be fine.

Also what viscosity of oil is recommended for my set up in the Royal Purple engine oil?
You need not use a heavy/thick oil. I'm sure Royal Purple has a recomendation chart like most oil companies do ethier at there web site or on the side of the bottle. In general, for normal engines, a 5-30 or lighter is used. Mild performance engines or ones with some wear (AKA, mileage) would go up to a 10-30. A 10-40 is a high performance rating and higher is normaly a racing grade.

and do I have to use a specific oil filter? or will my trusty brand of mopar oil filter work fine?
No, you can use any oil filter.

thanks guys and thanks rumble for breaking it down and answering each individual question.

My old man said he always ran sae 30 in his old mopars.

I was thinking of running 10w 30 for the royal purple and I will be using my mopar filter.

thanks for clearing up the mixing issue also.

I won't be "mixing" the oils......I will be switching after the first oil change....Just wanted to make sure i was clear so no one thought I meant half royal purple and half standard oil.

Thanks again guys I appreciate it!

not true anymore. it was true when synthetic first came out, not now

As far as the oil goes, if it has a stock oil pump and has psi in the 25-30 range a cruise speed than i would go with the 10w30 or maybe a 20/50.

If it is a high volume/high pressure pump, with cruise pressure in the 60-80 Psi.

Run a 5/20 and release some HP!!!!:cheers:

Uhmmm.... Not to argue, but syn leaks more.... Been there.

Rumble and others, the reason I run the 15W40 isn't for the weight, but for the zinc. I guess I shoulda added that eh? As far as protection in a roller engine, hell, id run 0W20 if I had the balls. They say you can.

i have noticed it leaks more on old engines. like the conventional oil is "bigger" and cant squeeze outta the small holes synthitic oil can if that makes any sense. but i dont think you will have to worry about that in your fresh motor or if you switch back and forth. and pretty much any motor leaks some so all in all i wouldnt worry about it as long as you watch the level

Like what was said before I think. If your motor is new and tight stay away from the heavy oils. Go with 10-30. Depending on your oil pressure maybe even lighter. I even run 10-30 Brad Penn in my drag car. Brad Penn in my street car also. Have to keep my comp hydraulics alive.

I use the Joe Gibbs syn. Also 15-40 for the zinc, I was told your engine needs it. Don't remember exact reason why.

Speaking of Zinc when I e-mailed Royal Purple about making the switch I was told I didn't need additives and they didn't recomend them at all.

Anyone with a flat tappet cam running RP?

Speaking of Zinc when I e-mailed Royal Purple about making the switch I was told I didn't need additives and they didn't recomend them at all.

I forgot to mention I will also be running flat tappets.

I'm running Mobil One w/Zinc additive.

Hmmm, it probably has more then some brands.........but my next question to then, would be......... How many PPM (parts per Million) of Zinc is there in say,.... your 5w20 oil????????????????????
IF they say any were between 7-10, i wouldn't give it another thought.

I've been running Royal Purple in my Harleys and cars since 2002 when I blew a Harley up on Mobil 1 motorcycle oil. Even though they make a specific motorcycle oil, I still run the regular automotive 20W-50 because it's less expensive and that's what RP suggested when I first started with them before they came out with a cycle formula.
I run the regular reccommended grades in my cars and am getting a 273 ready to fire up after a rebuild and have it filled with RP break in oil.
My understanding is that all their oil 10W-40 and up has extra zinc for anti-wear on flat tappet cams.
Go to their web site, get their number and call them. Ask for someone in technical when they answer the phone. They're straight talking people with an excellent product.

I've been running Royal Purple in my Harleys and cars since 2002 when I blew a Harley up on Mobil 1 motorcycle oil. Even though they make a specific motorcycle oil, I still run the regular automotive 20W-50 because it's less expensive and that's what RP suggested when I first started with them before they came out with a cycle formula.
I run the regular reccommended grades in my cars and am getting a 273 ready to fire up after a rebuild and have it filled with RP break in oil.
My understanding is that all their oil 10W-40 and up has extra zinc for anti-wear on flat tappet cams.
Go to their web site, get their number and call them. Ask for someone in technical when they answer the phone. They're straight talking people with an excellent product.

Thanks for the tip, I actually already had contacted royal purple last week and they got back to me a few days ago and broke down what I needed and why I needed it and they said to go with the 10 W 40 as you mention because its speacially formulated for flat tappet cams.

So thats what I put on order....sent out my order on monday,don't know long it will take before they ship me my oil but I will post pictures when they do!

-
Back