Rubber strut rod bushings

-
Rock auto shows moog # K7040. $25 ish before S&H.
Energy suspension (57109G) show the same part number on their bushings for pre ‘73 as your ‘74/‘75.
Looks like they are the same for ‘67-‘76.
Assuming they have their numbers right.

Moog 7040 is not correct for my 1974 dodge dart sport. It's moog 7068 which is not available anymore. So no one carrys correct strut bushings for my car. Sad but true. If anyone has a nice good used set I will take them also!

There's a Delphi part that's showing it will ship May 23rd from Summit...

Delphi TD4884W

That being said, I've had them on order since July 27, 2022 and they've been showing a month out the whole time. So I would say used is the only way you're going to get a set of those bushings.

Now that you mention the delphi td4884w I put in the order with summit. But I also asked in q&a in their site. And after 2 days ir so was informed that delphi said they no longer produce them! So I requested my money back. Probably will bite the bullet and get the qa1double adjustable units.

Hey 72blunblu is it OK to use stock lower rubber bushings with qa1's? Reason I ask is because aready have a set of lower control arms (spares) ready to go in.

Hey 72blunblu is it OK to use stock lower rubber bushings with qa1's? Reason I ask is because aready have a set of lower control arms (spares) ready to go in.

Yes, you can use adjustable strut rods with rubber LCA bushings. In fact, the tubular QA1 LCA’s come with rubber LCA bushings installed.

Does anyone go thru these as fast as I do?
I have a '65 and I'm using the Two-Piece stuff... I split the Front Ones Every Year.
I changed the Rear Bushings Once (Three Years ago) and They've Survived
but the Larger Front Bushings Break after a couple of months?
This year so far, Last years Bushings are Good on the Passer-Side and Busted on the Driver-Side...
Opposite deal Last year.

Thanks,
I just got a pair and assumed they were the same.

Alan
Nope. The strut rods aren't even the same. The shoulders on the strut rods moved back on the '73+ cars because of the thicker two piece bushings that were used. Even for the updated earlier ones that are two pieces instead of one piece the part numbers are different, K7040 vs K7068 for the 73+ version.

Does anyone go thru these as fast as I do?
I have a '65 and I'm using the Two-Piece stuff... I split the Front Ones Every Year.
I changed the Rear Bushings Once (Three Years ago) and They've Survived
but the Larger Front Bushings Break after a couple of months?
This year so far, Last years Bushings are Good on the Passer-Side and Busted on the Driver-Side...
Opposite deal Last year.

Moog's quality is terrible, but that's still pretty frequent to be going through bushings. Has the rest of your suspension been rebuilt? Because if you have issues elsewhere it will speed up the wear of the other components. LCA bushings and the K-frame LCA pivot tubes would be good things to check, if those are bad the LCA will move around more and put more loads on those strut rod bushings.

Beyond that, I don't run stock strut rods on any of my cars. They all get adjustable strut rods to get rid of all the slop in the factory strut rod set up.

Replaced All! Got Rebuilt Lowers w/ New Bushings and Sway Bar Tabs, Welded-In the Strengthening Plates, Added a Factory Front Sway-Bar, Replaced the Uppers...
KYB Shocks, New Ball Joints, New Tie Rods and the Idler...
Original Strut Rods were Bent a lil, jus' Crooked. So, I replaced those too! The Only things I kept were the Torsion Bars and the Pitman Arm.
'65 Barracuda w/ Manual Steering Box and BFG 225/60 14's on the 5.5 Ralleys...
I push it a lil bit in twisties with a 4-Speed So, I guess I'm a lil hard on it, but Every Year? Maybe I'll look into the adjustables?

I called Moog, bout the Problem Solver Heavy duty units fer 73-76. OBSOLETE! Sucks. I have a pair of Original one,used. Free for You

I have some. Old stock Moog when global meant USA and Canada.
Since this isn't a "Wanted" thread, I'm not going to put in a price or even refer to one.
Send me a PM.

IMG_20230509_081353335.jpg

Replaced All! Got Rebuilt Lowers w/ New Bushings and Sway Bar Tabs, Welded-In the Strengthening Plates, Added a Factory Front Sway-Bar, Replaced the Uppers...
KYB Shocks, New Ball Joints, New Tie Rods and the Idler...
Original Strut Rods were Bent a lil, jus' Crooked. So, I replaced those too! The Only things I kept were the Torsion Bars and the Pitman Arm.
'65 Barracuda w/ Manual Steering Box and BFG 225/60 14's on the 5.5 Ralleys...
I push it a lil bit in twisties with a 4-Speed So, I guess I'm a lil hard on it, but Every Year? Maybe I'll look into the adjustables?

Yeah you shouldn’t be going through them that fast unless something is wrong, and if it was wrong enough to eat those bushings that fast it should be noticeable. I really like the adjustables, they tighten things up quite a bit and the set on my Challenger has done 70k+ street miles with no issues or any real maintenance. They take a little bit of time to set up, but once that’s done they don’t require much.
and How to Check the LCA pivot tubes... I'm not sure.

You’d have to remove the LCA’s to really check. The spot welds can break free on the inside of the K so the tube floats, which allows the LCA to move more than it should. You can check the motion of the LCA, but it’s much easier to check with the LCA’s removed.

If you do go to adjustable strut rods it would be worth checking when you slide the LCA’s back to install them. But if the LCA’s were flopping around in broken pivot tubes you’d notice in the handling.

-
Back