Rule Book Question?

-

MidTexCuda

Ancient Member
Reaction score
What is the IHRA/NHRA rule on battery boxes.

I have a firewall. My cell and pump are running outside the car. I switched back to a lead battery. Do i need to put the battery in a sealed box?

Depends on where you mounted the battery. If under the hood, no box is required.
If its in the trunk it must be in an approved sealed and vented box.
Good luck

its in the trunk but I thought the box was needed if you dont have a firewall between the trunk and the drivers compartment. I know if your cell or pump is run inside the trunk and you have the battery there it needs to be boxed. But i am still not sure. I cant find my rule book or a direct link.

Hello,

I know alot of people who have the same set up as you do. And they just have the battery mounted in the trunk, with it straped down onto a plate mounted on the floor. Bolts come in from the underside of the body to hold the strap down.

I hve my battery in the trunk (where it belongs...) and I always pass tech. I dont have a fuel cell though.

But for the part about the wall blocking the drivers compartment from the trunk, you have to have one if the battery is in there. In a box or not.

Hope this helps.

-nick

If you have the wall you do not need it in a box.If you have a cell in the trunk you need the wall .The battery looks better in a box though.The battery has to be bolted with a least 3/8 rods or better no j bolts.if you use all thread tech prefers the nuts on bottom to be welded.The cutoff switch has to be marked in a easy access location and it has to kill the car and elec pump.On that note my battery has never been checked.

My understanding of the rules is that as long as you're battery is in the trunk it must be covered i.e. a battery box. I don't think it needs to be certified, the box me and a lot of people I know is just a basic marine box I got at like Gander Mtn. or Farm 'n Fleet. None of us have ever had problems, I think it has some vent slots on the top of it, it was only like $10 so I'm happy wit it

found the rule.
Battery in trunk W/ no firewall you need a box
Battery in trunk W/ firewall no box needed

I think if the cell and pump are mounted in the trunk with the lines in the trunk you need a firewall.

thanks for bringing this topic up...Now i now what i need for my relocation too..cool..and wigsplitter, im gonna check out those battery boxes (we dont have gander mountain, its caled Bass pro shops so its similar and maybe they'll have it)

so if you run a relocated battery in the trunk you have to have a cutoff switch form what I understand?

yes, battery in trunk needs a cutoff on the hot side of the battery, clearly marked with on and off and easilly accessable from the outside of the car. One time a tech guy flipped mine to off just to see how aware i was of the car.

If you have the wall you do not need it in a box.If you have a cell in the trunk you need the wall .The battery looks better in a box though.The battery has to be bolted with a least 3/8 rods or better no j bolts.if you use all thread tech prefers the nuts on bottom to be welded.The cutoff switch has to be marked in a easy access location and it has to kill the car and elec pump.On that note my battery has never been checked.
At my track (Mission BC) they check the kill every time they tech the car.

-
Back