running 273 at idle sudden large cloud of steam

-

65_Dart_GT

Reaction score
Was running my 273 (66 vintage) and had a sudden very large cloud of steam, scared the heck out of me to be sure. The engine did seem to go rough idle just before it occurred. This engine has no hours on it and I just put it in last winter. Just installed a custom alum rad (closed loop), I added a puke tank. Have I got a blown head gasket? No coolant in the oil from the dipstick view. Don't want to start the engine again. When I look underneath there is a small amount of coolant drips on the K-member that was not there before. Not sure what else I need to add for help but I sure would like to know if something very bad has happened.:banghead:

didn't put the wrong type of 4 bbl intake on it did you? I did that years ago on a 65 273, started up ok but when I took it for a drive it let loose, check your oil to see if it's milky. I got lucky and after putting original intake on I put in a bunch of STP, the
engine squealed for a while but straightened out - almost lost the motor.

I would check oil for water and check rad for oil. Pull the plugs and see if there wet if so do a compression test or leakdown. Find someone who has a rad pressure tester and look for leaks. Good luck.

Sounds like some way coolent hit the combustion chambers.
Pull all the plugs does any of them look wet?
With ALL OF THE Plugs out do a compression system check.
If compression is equal between the cylinders, do a leak down test and you will find the problem.

The op never did respond. Hell, it could be coming out of his defrosters. LOL

forgot, think a couple of the exhaust manifold bolts go right into the water jacket - maybe ones just loose and the steam is from the water hitting the hot exhaust manifold

forgot, think a couple of the exhaust manifold bolts go right into the water jacket - maybe ones just loose and the steam is from the water hitting the hot exhaust manifold

Well I was not clear where the steam was coming from was I LOL.
From inside the car it appeared to come from the passenger side front corner. No apparent leaks anywhere so I suspect that you may be right, a loose exhaust manifold bolt allowing the coolant to hit the hot exhaust maybe. It sure was a cloud and immediately stopped when I turned the engine off. Again no indication or leaks apparent. The rad is a brand new custom aluminum just put in, full of coolant. Oil dipstick shows no sign of contamination.
Should I start her up again and see where the coolant might be coming from? I'll for sure check the exhaust bolt tightness. Thanks so much for all the input and suggestions, I'm still a newbie but she's 95% ready for paint 3 years later.

i would top it off with coolant. make sure there is nothing in the oil. fire it up , let it run while checking the gauge and watching the engine until you see something , and go from there. if its not coming out of the exhaust , there is hope

If the steam came from the outside of the motor and there is no indication of coolant in the oil, I would fire it up and find out exactly where the coolant is coming from.
Could be an exhaust stud or could be a freeze plug even.

Find out where first, then we can deal with it much more accurately.

I found out the hard way about needing sealer on the header bolts as well. I had coolant running down the exhaust and though I had a cracked head at first.

-
Back