running race gas

-

dartkory

Reaction score
I was just wondering if I have to do anything to my carb to run 110 octane fuel, or can I just pour it in and go? I have the 670 Holley Avenger. Thanks -Kory

Yea, it's definitely better for your entire fuel system than the crap they sell as pump gas with up to 10% alcohol!

There is a chance that you may need to make some minor jetting changes. Different brands and octanes can affect the A/F ratio. You may also be able to advance your timing a bit!

Used to run 100 oct Phillips 66 aviation fuel back in the day on a 660 center squirter. Didn't have to touch it.

If you don't have the compression to benefit from race gas you not only won't get any performance benefit from it but over time it will gum up your engine. The higher the octane the slower the burn rate - less volitile the fuel is. If your engine doesn't have the ability to burn it efficiently it will cause deposits over time. Not to mention you'll pay about $10/gal to do it......

I run a mix at the very least, and full race gas quite often. I have high compression. You won't need to do anything to your carb. It will smell great, too. I do get a film on my rear bumper when I run straight 110 octane, and I don't get it if I mix 110 and 93. I live in a small town and somehow there is a gas station in town that carries 110 race gas for $7.99 a gallon.

Im just doing the mix as well and the only reason I am, is because I have a stock distributor with WAY to much advance so until I can get my after market distributor next pay day, I figured I would run a couple gallons of the 110 octane to help out a little with the excessive advance. seems to help a little.

Im just doing the mix as well and the only reason I am, is because I have a stock distributor with WAY to much advance so until I can get my after market distributor next pay day, I figured I would run a couple gallons of the 110 octane to help out a little with the excessive advance. seems to help a little.
pm me your address, i will send you the part you need already modified so you can just put it in .

I run a gallon of 112 everytime I fill up they get about 8.49 a gallon for it.

I use 100 octane aviation fuel and at the airport 2 miles from me I pay 5.35/gal--My exhaust is spotless and yes it smells GOOD-I run 11-1 compr.

If you don't have the compression to benefit from race gas you not only won't get any performance benefit from it but over time it will gum up your engine. The higher the octane the slower the burn rate - less volitile the fuel is. If your engine doesn't have the ability to burn it efficiently it will cause deposits over time. Not to mention you'll pay about $10/gal to do it......

111 octane fuel here is 6.49 per gallon and the 116 is 8.50 per gallon
i bought 21 gallons of the 111 last week before racing. nothing like paying $150 for 20 gallons of fuel .lol

I use 110 mix with 93. only use about 4 gal per fill. Last time I got it it was 8.00 a gal. As much as I drive it is worth it.

Goddamn race gas is pricey, makes me wonder if the extra bump in HP from raising compression ratio is worth it.

Goddamn race gas is pricey, makes me wonder if the extra bump in HP from raising compression ratio is worth it.
Have always wondered how much hp the higher compression creates. Not talking in an all out race build......

Higher compression also helps pump more of the leftover exhaust gases out of the chamber.

So higher compression helps in more then just one way. I believe its worth it if you do floor it now and then.

Same with 4.10 gears vs 2.94's, is it worth the loss of MPG, depends on how and where you drive it

Wow, Kory's got a 318 with high 9's comp. and Eddy alum. heads. All this race gas stuff may be working for your combo's, but i think it's rediculous to run race gas with his setup. Maybe as a temporary crutch, but once the dizzy/timing is straighted out this car should run on any high test pump gas available...jmo.

I can't believe the stupidly low prices some of you are paying for REAL gasoline (i.e. , leaded hi-test stuff !) !

Out here in "Brown's-Ville" ( I call it that because of that *** hat Jerry Brown ) , 100 octane pump gas (yes , it's unleaded ; and yes , it's got that damned alcohol @ 10% in it !!) is going for $9.00 / gallon !!
I treat my car to a couple of gallons of it when-ever I'm up near L.A.

Also , remember : 110 octane is what was once 115 octane ( M.O.N. vs AKI ).

Wow, Kory's got a 318 with high 9's comp. and Eddy alum. heads. All this race gas stuff may be working for your combo's, but i think it's rediculous to run race gas with his setup. Maybe as a temporary crutch, but once the dizzy/timing is straighted out this car should run on any high test pump gas available...jmo.

True true, that is an 87 octane motor with the alum heads

Oh I feel for you Californians but you got 340 days of sunshine each year, lol

oldmanrick has it right. Im only running it as a temporary crutch until i get my distributor taken care of. otherwise im able to run the 87 now that i have the eddy heads. But i gotta admit i might just start dumping in a gallon of the 110 every once in a while with the 87 just because i love the smell so much.

Hey Guys....I reread my post a few numbers up and it looks a little "ranty". I didn't intend it that way, just when i see double digits for fuel it makes me cringe :D.

-
Back