Running Rich

-

GeorgeGerhard

Reaction score
Hello All
Got the Dart back together, and started to drive around a bit. I noticed bad pinging when I would punch the pedal, and it is very rich, to the point I get a headache.
440 engine purple cam. 750 holley (brand new) new plugs
Another member on this board will let me borrow his timing light, as mine is broken.
What should I be looking for in degrees of timing, and what else should I be looking for to lean it out
thank you
George

Hey Guys
I adjusted the carb today as per the video, the carb is brand new, as are the plugs. I gapped them at .045 there is an MSD box
I am still very rich.
What else should I be looking at, and what could be the worst case senario?
thank you
George

What cam is in it? what carb is it and what is the stock jetting and does it have power valves? Did it back fire on startup or was it running bad at all before this problem? In your first post you mentioned pinging, that doesnt sound like a rich condition. How much compression is on the engine? Does the distributor have a curve in it or is it locked out? Toatl timing varies from car to car but I would start in the 36 degree total range depending on compression and fuel type available.

thanks Dericks
it is a mopar purple cam, holley 750 vac sec. I took it out of the box and installed it.
Not sure about the distributor. I will buy a compression tester this week and test the compression.
It does not backfire on startup, in neutral there is no hesistation at all.
Yes when I puch it from a roll I hear pinging. However it is very very rich.
I thought about the timing because of the pinging, but I did not think timing would effect the richness
thank you
George

George what are the spec's on the cam? is it the 484 or the 509 etc etc...the reason I ask is the amount of vacuum they pull at idle and maybe you carb has a power valve in the 6.5 range which if the cam pulls less it will dump extra fuel constantly. For example if the cam is pulling 3-5 inches of vacuum at lidle and the power valve in the carb is a 6.5 it will cause a rich condition. Depending on the list number of your holley factory jetting my be too small for your engine cause the lean condition (pinging) under hard excelleration. Timimng will not affect a rich condition as much as it would a lean one so get a timing light, what distributor is it? Mopar? MSD?

Dericks
the cam according to the previous owner is the 484 lift
I can only assume the distributor is the stock mopar, there is no identification on it.

Dericks
the cam according to the previous owner is the 484 lift
I can only assume the distributor is the stock mopar, there is no identification on it.

If you adjusted the idle mixture screws properly I would look at the possibility of a new power valve problably in the 4.5 range. That cam generally doesnt pull much vacuum at idle. PV's can blow out on some carbs to if they backfire etc.....The carb doesnt have a metering block in the back does it?

Dericks
just the one metering block it has a number 10569 on it.
So if you were me would you start changing the power valve, I though a new carb out of the box at that size would have been a good selection
thanks for your help
George

check float level first

Good idea Mopar head! Make sure when you take out the sight plug the fuel level is just below that opening if its pouring out its too high and will stink up the joint! I would put a vacuum guage on the engine at idle and see what its pulling then pick a PV one step down from that reading

Thanks guys
I did check the float level that was good. Ok I will start with the power valve
thanks guys
I will work on that and get back to you guys with an update.
One more question please, could any electrical problem cause this, as my electrical system is terribly hacked, wires spliced all over the place.
regards
George

Thanks guys
I did check the float level that was good. Ok I will start with the power valve
thanks guys
I will work on that and get back to you guys with an update.
One more question please, could any electrical problem cause this, as my electrical system is terribly hacked, wires spliced all over the place.
regards
George

What ignition system and coil is on it? I guess if you arent getting enough fire to the plugs it could cause it to load up...never ran into that myslef though. Is it an orange box system? You can get a volt meter and check voltage going into and coming out of the coil to resovle this one. Keep us updated please

-
Back