rust in my msd distributor

-

winstoninwisc

Taint easy livin free,season ticket ona 1wayride
Reaction score
any body ever had this problem , I am changing my motor in my 65 barracuda and its tight so we pulled the didtributor out and found this , but car runs fine yet. try to get a good picture I get this . its rusted on the paddle wheel inside and above on the top of the pickup ciol pick-up ,any 1 else seen of have this problem and how far did it get or how did you rid this problem sorry I didn't have better pics tonight I will have to get some different 1ns soon .

Attachments

• motor,grill transmission 032.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 189
  • motor,grill transmission 031.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 171
  • motor,grill transmission 033.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 179
Is/was your distributor cap vented, with a small hole, usually about 1/8th in in diameter, ??. That could be part of the problem. Otherwise I have no clue.

barracudadave67

I have seen this many times with msd dist. I even had the springs rust out in one. as for why I don't know.

Heating and cooling of the distributor creates condensation in the non vented distributors.
Then the clean uncoated metal parts rust. (just the way it is)
You can vent it as mentioned and it will pretty much stop the condensation.
This cap is an MSD and has a vent. (obviously not a mopar cap though)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 177
first time I ever saw it in mine this 1 hasn't been out enough this year and yes we have had a lot of rain even tho it sits in the garage ,building a new motor i did not add for a new msd distrib

MSD had a problem with this. I thought I remember reading that they were taking care of some of them under warranty. It couldn't hurt to call them.

-
Back