rust on cylinder walls

-

n00blike

Reaction score
So i pulled my heads off yesterday and noticed that in one of the cylinder walls it has some rust about 1/5 of the top. i guess some water got into the intake :angry5:

what should i do? I think the intake valve has some surface rust too.

First you need to figure out how the water/ condensation got in there so it doesn't happen again. Has the car been sitting?

Maybe a head gasket problem?

oops sorry i forgot to say that that the engine was out of the car and sitting outside. I covered it up but i guess not that well :(

my block had a crap load of rust, but when i made the pistons come out through the top, it scraped it all off. maybe hone it.

Covering an engine outside does very little. The walls will get rust from temperature changes and condensation. Bring it inside somewhere... Surface rust is no big deal, but if there are pits up near where the top ring needs to seal you'll create some issues.

bump

any know what grit to use?

After honing do i need to install new rings?

How bad is the rust? I would use a simple wire brush to remove the rust. a hone will take too much off. If you have to, use the finest stone they have, and use thick oil like 30wt to oil it. In fact, you could use a scotchbrite pad over the stones too and it will do much less damage. And yes, if any hone or abrasive is used, (not wire brush) then you will need new rings. If it's not bad... just run it.

How bad is the rust? I would use a simple wire brush to remove the rust. a hone will take too much off. If you have to, use the finest stone they have, and use thick oil like 30wt to oil it. In fact, you could use a scotchbrite pad over the stones too and it will do much less damage. And yes, if any hone or abrasive is used, (not wire brush) then you will need new rings. If it's not bad... just run it.

Cool thanks man!

-
Back