Rust On Floor Please Help

-

73SwungOut

Reaction score
Wuts up everyone. Just ripped out all my carpet to install a new wire harness in my 73 Dart Swinger and found rust on the Passenger Floor. Please tell me this is fixable and if so how would I go about repairing it. I've put so much blood sweat and tears in my swinger and I really want to fix the cancer it has. The driver side floor has very little signs of rust but the passenger is pretty bad. I pushed my finger through the floor pan. I posted a pic of the passenger floor so hopefully I can get some help on how I can fix it. I think the cause was a leaking heater core..

20231225_235419.jpg

20231225_235419.jpg

Hard to call it from the internet. You need to get an angle grinder with a wire brush after it and get all that rust off and then determine how thin the metal is. You might get lucky, or you might have some holes when done. You'll just have to see.

the floor is easily repairable and a patch panel isn't all that much money. but on that bend where it meets the firewall seam looks rough man. that could get tricky.

as RRR said, wire wheel the heck outta that and see what you're really working with. also, expect some of the sub-structure to be damaged when you peel that up.

Replacement patch isn't to bad to do but there are quite a few welds to be made to the frame and cross member.

71.jpg

You can gage the condition by taking a Phillips screwdriver and smacking it hard in the rusty areas.

If it goes through it will need a patch if not it's still good metal.

I stabbed the screwdriver in the green area and only in the red area did the screwdriver go through

PXL_20231217_020934547~2.jpg

Now you could do some less than good repairs and clean all the rust off and panel bond a patch over it. Be sure to undercoat the underside so new rust won't start between the patch and the body.

-
Back