rust on my msd distributor

-

winstoninwisc

Taint easy livin free,season ticket ona 1wayride
Reaction score
I just spent a lot of $ building a new engine ,and I found a lot of rust on my msd distributor . I was wondering if this is a common problem ,how it got the moisture , how many of you had the same problem ? and is it effecting your spark or causing you issue"s ? I hate to ruin a new motor over having rust in my distributor throwing a disruption or bad spark , or is this common for msd distributors . my 340 ran ok with it ,but with a new motor do I want to put it back in ?

I've heard of this before. Yes, I think it's fairly common.

Sho nuff. I think there's a thread or two about it on here already. Kinda weird.

Same here ,
I drill holes to vent the cap some on the side rotor level and 4 on top.. Mine was so bad I pulled it apart to clean it.

Mine had a little on the reluctor. I lightly buffed it off the face of the reluctor, keep an eye on the caps they don't last very long. I got a summit replacement cap that works fine

Mine always rusted up bad. Needed constant cleaning. Sealing it up is not the way to go it needs more airflow into it - and even that won't make it go away of you live in a humid area like here. I read someplace where the actual problem is the higher voltages arcing inside causing more ozone which is a strong reducing agent.

I have run countless numbers of Mopar distributors in the past and never had this problem. Since people say MSD is better, does that mean if your distributor doesn't rust up that it's not a good one?

"i'll just charge you 85.00 bucks.... "

You see that chit? It oughtta be free. Screw MSD.

"i'll just charge you 85.00 bucks.... "

You see that chit? It oughtta be free. Screw MSD.

yeah but running a business is like running a car... if you dont do it right then boom there it goes. businesses have to make a profit or they disappear.

realy what they oughtta do is fix the damn problem so it stops happennin'

yeah but running a business is like running a car... if you dont do it right then boom there it goes. businesses have to make a profit or they disappear.

realy what they oughtta do is fix the damn problem so it stops happennin'

Did you bother to read the referenced thread? They have fixed the problem. It only exists on distributors made prior to their fix. Screw MSD. They should replace the distributors for free or offer to put the coated parts in for free. That's a bullshit way to run a business, especially when you are charging twice what the distributors are worth in the first place.

yeah i read it but i dont believe it... guy said they fixed that over 3 years ago and people still post with the problem. i find it hard to believe that someone with a 4 year old part would complain about rust.

i can't understand having bare metal... was it so people can weld the stops or something? cant they put weldable primer on them or whatever.

i think they just make them bare metal to cut down production costs.
but they should focus on making a quality product, not save a tiny amount of money.

if people want junk stuff they can go on chineebay

a little spray of wd40 from time to time or a wipe with a rag sprayed with it keeps it at bay.

Certainly a viable option, but no fun with a small block in tight spaces.

I've just never been a fan of MSD. There's simply almost nothing you can't do without it.

that is correct Rusty. it is not as easy on the small block in my valiant.
the big block in my dart was much easier.

Has anyone sent theres in and had it re coated? does it actually cure the issue? I have mine out right now to have my heads ported and would like this problem corrected.

I have run countless numbers of Mopar distributors in the past and never had this problem. Since people say MSD is better, does that mean if your distributor doesn't rust up that it's not a good one?

Never had any issues with a mopar dist either ,

have seen a lot of rust in gm distributors

You can have you msd and I don't see the need to throw money away

Should you have to disassemble a "name brand" distributer and wipe it down with a lubricant? Really? Im with Rusty on this one. For what they cost I shouldnt be a beta tester for Chinese manufacturing techniques.

An intelligent modified stock one,works well. I ran/run ,MSD,I like N20.. Otherwise .....

stock dizzy is the best there is just prep it properly and you will never have any trouble at all

Don Dulmage cover nicely how to modify the stock distributor in his book.

my reluctor is showing rust , thanks for the thread as I thought it was just me being here in the Pacific Northwet .

-
Back