Rust prevention

-

dustertogo

Reaction score
Just wondering......... what everyone is using to protect the cylinders in their extra blocks and journels on the cranks that I'm sure everyone has sitting over in the corner. Lot's of humidity in Mississippi and other things besides people sweat. Anyone found anything that works REALLY well?

Oil it down and double bag it at a min. It'll last a long time and keep it off the floor if you can.

I agree with the white lithium grease and a bag.Or you can use regular wheelbearing grease also but I prefer the white lithium myself! Whatever you do "DON'T USE WD40 ON THE PARTS!" Wouldn't hurt to maybe get a used dehumidifier and run it from time to time to cut down on the moisture in the storage area!

I used the white lithium grease on a 340 block I had sitting for about five years and it worked well. Our climate around here is humidity pretty much year round.

use greese as oil will runn off and when you come back it will be rusty

the russians used greese (kosmoline ) on guns M-44 and let them sit for years when you clean them off they still have the blueing on them

On mine i have used grease but more recently i have been using power punch for the cylinders. It is like a break in lube. It doesnt run like oil and not as thick as grease. It has worked real good so far for me

The best thing is temp controlled storage. I use WD40 and things are good for months. I've had stuff that was fine after 4 years that was sprayed, wrapped in towels, then bagged. When the temp changes, water will condense, causing rust. I use heavy grease on flywheels and things that are stored in outside shelters.

Kosmoline soaked paper is still used today in rotor packaging etc..
If you can close it up very well with plastic sheeting, and hand full of charcoal will absorb what little moisture does get in.

I used motorcycle chain lube on a crank about two years ago, its still sticky and no rust. It is easy to apply coming in a spray can!

Jason
1971 Dart

Here in new mexico nothing needs to be done. I have two or three engine blocks and cranks that have been sitting around for over a year and not a speck of rust. My truck has a couple of spots with no paint going on three years and the metal is still rust free. Gotta love the dry climate.

-
Back