Rust Spots on Asphalt Driveway

-

pntastar69

Reaction score
Having my driveway seal-coated on Monday. Is there a product that I can apply to the rust spots (w/out breaking the bank) before sealcoating to minimize them bleeding through?

My brother- in- law has operated a sealing coating company for 30 years. The best thing to do is remove the rust stains with a commercial rust remover. If they are not huge vinegar will also work. Again if not huge you can also make a paste from baking soda and water. Put it on the stains for about 15 minutes to draw out and neutralize the rust. If you want to try and cover it up get a bucket of sealer and put several coats on the rust before the entire drive is sealcoated.

Muriatic Acid is used to clean concrete.

Why not call the company sealing the driveway, they probably have experience with this.

Pour some acid on it. Either Phosphoric or Muriatic should work. Then cover it with plastic to slow it from drying. You want it to stay moist. It shouldn't take long. Once converted, hose it down with water.

Question to sealing company in 2 weeks, "I have a spot that your coating wouldn't stick to, it all came off"

Thanks for all the replies. Gonna spray the rust areas with Eastwoods Fast Etch, wire brush, and then paint (spray or brush) over those areas with some type of black primer to prevent bleeding again.

The Works toilet bowl cleaner worked great last time I used it. I heard they changed the ingredient and took out Hydrogen Chloride.
It’s made to remove rust from toilet bowls.

-
Back