Rusted fresh air vent mount on 66 Cuda

-

lurchs66cuda

A-body for life!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've started to strip the wiring out of the car and looking at other issues while I'm at it and found the rusted mount flange with holes for the driver side fresh air vent.
Does the POR15 work good to coat it and once dry, apply a fibreglass wrap around the area what I can reach? I know it's temporary for the most part, but it's not out in the elements anymore.

Thanks,
Eric

20161105_160644.jpg

use some Por-15 and some fiberglass matting. I repaired one with the same method. Take a wire brush and knock the loose stuff off then paint ^this area with the por and cut the matting to size,apply the matting to the por area,let it tack up then apply por over the matting intil your happy. The second part is messy as hell,buy one of those wide foam paint brushes,get some rubber gloves and a long sleeve shirt you don't care about and use some tape to fill in between the gloves and the shirt,dip the foam brush into the por,reach into the opening and fold the brush over the edge and coat the back side all the way around. If you have one of those swivel reach mirrors it will help you see back there to make sure you have enough coverage. This is a simple,cheap and quick fix and should last for many years

Excellent, thanks for the reassurance in the direction I was wanting to go.
Eric

Get por-15 chassis so it isn't affected by UV light. I think it's basically the same price.

^ that,but I highly doubt the sun can reach the area. I would also make sure there is no debris in there either and blow it out with air and use a scotch pad on the back side.

Ok I have cleaned up the area the best I could with wire brush and small shop vac with hose reduced down to 3/8" rubber hose so I can get up behind the lip of the mount. I'll get the air hose in there tomorrow and repeat the process and make sure the drain path isn't plugged up before repairing.
I appreciate the input!

Glad to help and maybe clean both areas real good with brake cleaner and a rag and let dry

-
Back