Rustoleum on your undercarriage ??

-

hardcore5657

Reaction score
Has anyone used the spray on undercarriage coatings or the spray on bed liners from rustoleum on the underside of there cars??

I've got a cheaper and stronger answer for you

Tractor Supply "Truck & Trailer" paint :glasses7: Damn near bulletproof and it doesn't matter how you apply it, or to what surface it's going on.

Sprayed the dumpbed on my dad's D300 Dumptruck with the stuff about 6 years ago, all we did was take a wirebrush to some of the flaking paint and washed the dirt off with a hose. Waited for it to dry and then sprayed the Truck & Trailer Paint on over the rusty metal and remaining paint (no primer).

That paint is still intact except for a few locations where hauling junk wore it to bare metal. Didn't matter what we dropped in the bed, it didn't phase the paint.

Also sprayed the bumpers on my offroad truck (D50) with it, I've wrapped chains and winch cables around the bumpers, it hasn't even scuffed the surface of the bumpers.

Brushed it on the Snow Plow for my grandfather's plow truck 3 years ago (the plow still looks brand new). Brushed it on my plow earlier this year, and I've pushed piles of stone, firewood, etc with it and it hasn't even scratched the paint :D

Have only used it (Duplicolor brand) on the inside of the door panels on an old pickup resto project. I was not particularly satisfied with it adhering to the surface which was POR-15. I would recommend you experiment with some different types of primers on a test surface until you find one that will bond with the bed liner. As far as using the stuff on the underside and fender wells, I personally prefer the smooth finish like modern vehicles have. Deposits of road grime etc. tend to stick to rough surfaces but rinse off quite easily from smooth ones. Who hasn't found rust under old undercoating? I am using Rustoleum primer followed by 2 coats of Rustoleum oil based paint and getting a nice shiny tough finish in the fender wells of the pickup. Time and miles will tell.

Here in the Northeast, you just get a five-gallon bucket of foundation coat, and paint it on with a brush. Just kidding, kind of. My usual routine is wash, dry, maybe some brake cleaner if greasy, rust converter spray, primer, paint, undercoat.
I'm going to try the Tractor Supply paint ASAP.

Yeah, you need something better.

Rustoleum even shows and says kids bicycles for it. That means the paint doesn't have the good stuff like lead in it, lol You need something that isn't made for kids toys, the more warnings on the can the better.

You want something that says must use a mask and gloves to apply

Damn. I thought it was a pain to scrape the undercoating off of my Dart Sport. Just wait til 20 years or so when somebody has to remove something like you guys are talking about!

Not a direct answer to your question but I had the inside of a cab sprayed with bedliner. Seemed pretty durable until the first chip appeared. Then it kind of peeled off like cheap GM clear coat....

Damn. I thought it was a pain to scrape the undercoating off of my Dart Sport. Just wait til 20 years or so when somebody has to remove something like you guys are talking about!

I painted a custom oil pan in the stuff. The customer needed some modifications done afterward. I had to burn the paint off with the torch, the sander wouldn't remove it, just to weld in a differently shaped pocket to clear an oil pump.

Here is your answer.....yes i sprayed the entire underside of my duster with it and it works great, the nice thing is if you need to touch it up it blends in with the old very nicely.. Now for the clincher i bought a gallon of it and had the hood , side stripes and tail stripes done with it and it looks just like the original paint did on my first duster i had. It is well worth the money and you should really like it and your results. Good luck!

I just asked the same question my my resto thread. I found some eastwood undercoating that looks good. I may try that.

Here is your answer.....yes i sprayed the entire underside of my duster with it and it works great, the nice thing is if you need to touch it up it blends in with the old very nicely.. Now for the clincher i bought a gallon of it and had the hood , side stripes and tail stripes done with it and it looks just like the original paint did on my first duster i had. It is well worth the money and you should really like it and your results. Good luck!

Which product are we talking about?? The thread started with spray on undercoating.

i bought a gallon of "chain stop" for my car trailer from a local supplier that sounds like the TS paint scottylack mentioned. it's $33 a gallon. my buddy uses it on a dump trailer and it's bullet proof ! i'll post up a pic when i paint my car trailer with it ...

I used Duplicolor spray on Bedliner under my car, nice stuff.

-
Back