S/S springs or CalTracks w/mono leaf???

-

Hellcat Cuda

Reaction score
I still have an original, early pair (late '70s) of S/S springs for my car that were bolted onto the car for rolling the car around from storage to shop to storage, etc. Car hasn't run in 30+ years.

Now getting down closer to paint and final assembly and re-thinking rear suspension. I did like the older stance of the Super Stock Cudas/Darts at one time, but now thinking I should lower it down a bit (my buddy /chevy guy says it looks like a stink bug LOL). I've also heard S/S springs are pretty bouncy for the street.

Have been considering Cal Tracks with mono leaf springs. Has anyone made a switch like this? Is the Cal Track set up good for street driving or just track? My car will see more street miles than track miles, so I need for it to be enjoyable on the street. When I was younger, I only considered the track, but these days I want some reasonable comfort as well for the street.

Would really appreciate your inputs on this. BTW, not going with any other rear suspensions. There are some cool ones out there, but I'm DONE with the cutting/welding/fabricating on my car. I just want to get 'er done and start driving it. It doesn't have to be the "ultimate" any more for me...

If you are planning on driving the car on the street, I would avoid the Caltracs. They are great for a smooth drag strip, but on the street they give a brutal ride. I took them off and sold them. I have two passenger side Super Stock springs on my '68 Barracuda convertible with a 1 inch lowering block. I also invested in high quality shocks, Koni's. I have them set on the second to last stiffest setting and the car rides nice. Bilsteins would be my second choice for a controlled comfortable ride. Stay away from KYB's.

For what its worth I have the 1" from FirmFeel torsion bars in it too. It has a smallblock and automatic in it.

On a related note, I used the same passenger side SS 2800 lbs spring on my 1970 'Cuda with a big block in it and they ride and hook up perfect. I had tried the recommended 3600 lbs SS springs on it in the old days and it rode like a truck.

Thanks for the response jbc426. That's interesting about the Caltracs. Were you using the mono leaf springs too? I bought my S/S springs many years ago. I think the spec (description) in the Direct Connection catalog was 3,200 lb. 440/automatic, which is what I planned to build when I bought them (drag race only). Now a Gen3 Hemi, manual trans and street/strip. So I suppose I could use a lowering block, but am concerned it will be pretty stout on the street. You think correct shock selection would make the difference for the street then huh?

If you are planning on driving the car on the street, I would avoid the Caltracs. They are great for a smooth drag strip, but on the street they give a brutal ride. I took them off and sold them. I have two passenger side Super Stock springs on my '68 Barracuda convertible with a 1 inch lowering block. I also invested in high quality shocks, Koni's. I have them set on the second to last stiffest setting and the car rides nice. Bilsteins would be my second choice for a controlled comfortable ride. Stay away from KYB's.

For what its worth I have the 1" from FirmFeel torsion bars in it too. It has a smallblock and automatic in it.

On a related note, I used the same passenger side SS 2800 lbs spring on my 1970 'Cuda with a big block in it and they ride and hook up perfect. I had tried the recommended 3600 lbs SS springs on it in the old days and it rode like a truck.

I have no experience with the cal tracs. That said, I have a lot of experience with SS springs. The SS springs first came on the scene in what? 64? 63 maybe? They've been run on sub nine second cars for 50 plus years with great success. That's all I will add.

Thanks for the response jbc426. That's interesting about the Caltracs. Were you using the mono leaf springs too? I bought my S/S springs many years ago. I think the spec (description) in the Direct Connection catalog was 3,200 lb. 440/automatic, which is what I planned to build when I bought them (drag race only). Now a Gen3 Hemi, manual trans and street/strip. So I suppose I could use a lowering block, but am concerned it will be pretty stout on the street. You think correct shock selection would make the difference for the street then huh?

I used the +1 mono leafs with Caltracs on my 1970 e-body I called and followed Dr Diff's advice on using the lighter weight rated set of 2800 lbs driver's side springs on the 1970, so it would ride like a normal car and still launch. It does both really well now.

I already had the same springs on my '68 Barracuda. They are still higher than a stock spring for your car a 1" lowering block would leave it sitting about like my car sits in this photo. I have 275 65R15's on my '68 and the top lip of the rear fender just about clears the top of the tire.

The car had a slant 6 in it in this picture, but it did have the small block front torsion bars already. I put a 2001 junkyard 5.9 Magnum and a 727 in it until I could afford to rebuild a 408" for it and install a 4 speed automatic. I also upgraded the front torsion bars to the 1 inch FirmFeel bars since then. I'm still in the process of finishing up the driveline upgrade.

Did you have to cut your torsion bar crossmember to fit the manual trans or isn't it an overdrive?

Attachments

• Misc 053 (Large).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 409
I would also avoid caltacs for the street. had their full suspension on my '65 coronet. mono leafs, bars and adjustable rancho's out back, and 90/10 calverts up front ... That car was stiff ! the front was bouncy obviously but the back was rock solid. I have s/s 002-003 on my 70 dart now and it rides great. just make sure you use the correct long rear shock. I am using the matching extended shocks from Mopar, my wife is yet to complain about the ride and we will go on several hour trips !

Super stock springs have been produced since late 1967 as they were designed specifically for the 1968 S/S HEMI Dart/Barracuda program; hence the name, Super Stock springs. Anyway, Cuda SRT8, I have followed your build with considerable interest. Your workmanship is first class. Actually, your build is very similar to my GTS (6.1, TKO 600, Dana 60 etc.) except I kept the torsion bar front suspension system. The springs you have (3200 LB) are a bit heavy but still serviceable. I have the 2800 LB springs with Bilstein shocks, and they are excellent on the street. I don't get to the track more than once a year, sometimes not at all, but I put 3 - 4000 miles per year on the car so I do drive a fair bit. The point of all this is to say I think you're on the right track, but rather than use lowering blocks, if you have a spring shop nearby just take the springs in and tell them how much arch you want taken out. Most places are amazingly accurate. I've done that for several cars including my GTS and have always been very happy. Just see where the car sits with the springs as they are, and then figure out how much you want to drop it. I took 1 1/2" out of the passenger side spring and 2" out of the driver's side. I just tightened the driver's side torsion bar a little and the car sits perfectly level. Comes out straight as an arrow under full throttle, street or strip. Anyway, just free advice. Again I am very impressed with your attention to detail and good luck on the remainder of the build.

-
Back