Sacramento Carnage

-

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Ran throught and did a compression test and a leak down test. Here is what I found.

Compression test cam back with all at 120 except #4 which was at 100

Leakdown was all good except #6 which dropped 30%

So dropped the head and here is what I found so far,this is #4. #6 I would assume is a broken ring or piston out of view, no scoring of any cylinder.

Plan: I have a 1978 truck motor, just ran a leak down test, looks good. Going to cam it ( I think small mechanical roller), put some 516's with 2.14/1.88's, slight mill for surface, No2, pull my power steering off when I do the swap, put an electric water pump on and go racing - I am making it into high 11's by end of summer.

I will pull this motor and rebuild

Attachments

• Broken Piston.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 303
  • 906 Head Booger.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 323
is it just me or does it look like trasfere in the upper right corner of the piston, in the head pic its upper right

Bob - Yes hypers,
805 - Yep, quenched the broken piece of the piston to the piston and head (AKA Piston booger)

Back in action! Trying to hit TnT this coming friday night (31st) Spent last couple of days pulling broken 440, doing a partial build, and then dropping the new motor back in. Here are the specs:

78 440 short block- Good leak-down on all, #8 was a little higher than rest, but close. Good compression. Had this for a 512 build, pulled the 452s off and found it was rebuilt very recently, still had hone marks, .30 over, thought this was going to be a lo-compression deal, turned out piostons only about .40's down in hole. Cast crank,

516's with 2.14's /1.81s, no port work, milled for flatness.

Crane Golds - 1.6's

Comp Hydraulic Roller - 541/537 106 (springs matched when heads built)

Removed P/S system and installed mechanical with Flamming river joint.

Jegs Electric Pump

Fired it up today, now working through some of the bugs, tuning etc. Made its first trip around the block. BTW, full time job really gets in the way, jees

You can see the rust hole from the water jacket in the head but it looks like it just barley catches the water hole?

Attachments

• waterjacket.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 170
Gotcha!, pretty common, all motors I have built I used Felpros, they are all the same. I asked engine gurus and they say the same. Also all I have read are the same, Andy Finkbeiners book eludes to it as well.

As for the rust - The block\heads were brand new clean (tanked, etc...) Well I hooked it up to the heater core on and blam... Dirty Dirty Dirty... Lesson in life, flush the core

Oldtimer - Thanks, yes alludes. My memory eludes me at times.

V/r

-
Back