Sad video too see..Closed Dragstrip

-
Our local drag strip in Fort Worth, Texas is closing the end of this year due to local politics. Hell its been operating non stop for like 50 years and has turned out some of the best bracket racers in the country.

That probably very nearly happened in Spokane. Began with the downfall of Oriville Moe, who had originally owned and run the old Deer Park strip N of Spokane (Deer Park, WA) and then the current Spokane Raceway Park. In the mess that followed, Spokane County took it over and ran it!! Near as I can tell, this has been a fairly successful venture. The county uses part of the facility for law enforcement vehicular training.

I so enjoyed racing at Speed World...Back in the 70's Pittsburgh International Dragway closed for such reasons.It was closed because of a housing development.Nothing was ever done with the property.I would rather see it bulldozed over than sit abandon .....

Raced there many times....Cool little drag strip & sad to see what it's become!!

Anyone remember Bob who used to own it? Old school & laid back track when he ran it....RIP

We have a track here in Cincinnati that is headed this direction. The owner sold the mineral rights years ago and the jerk is just letting the track fall apart. The track has been operating since the 60s and I expect to see it close in the next five years.

A few years ago overbearing Government regulation and a stuborn Dragstrip owner butted heads and Racers suffered with this.

http://www.dragzine.com/news/video-the-overgrown-remains-of-the-abandoned-speedworld-dragstrip/
The real problem is just like live music, the public just doesn't give a **** to come and spend a day or evening watching. Then you have wealthy people that don't like the Noise or want the land. They then push local governments to close them. This happens time and time again. Good but sad video.

Our local drag strip in Fort Worth, Texas is closing the end of this year due to local politics. Hell its been operating non stop for like 50 years and has turned out some of the best bracket racers in the country.
Was too noisy? It is just big money doing a land grab. They are doing it here in Michigan too. All Republicans on the local board support it. It is out in the country so they have the majority and are calling it progresses. Look for the money trail.

We have a track here in Cincinnati that is headed this direction. The owner sold the mineral rights years ago and the jerk is just letting the track fall apart. The track has been operating since the 60s and I expect to see it close in the next five years.
Wow Cincinnati should be able to support at track. Too bad.

Wow Cincinnati should be able to support at track. Too bad.

From my house I can be at three tracks in just over an hour. Make it two hours and I can make it to 6 tracks. People are leaving edgewater which is the track with the bad owner and they are taking their money else where and for good reason.

There is 7 tracks within 1 hour from my house so I guess I am lucky.

Damn what a long shut down that track had. It really is a shame. Looked like the whole venue was laid out nice. This is happening all over the country. We have lost 3 tracks since the 70's and two more are on the way out. And they call this progress!

Progress ?
Pittsburgh International Dragway closed in May of 76.
Nearby housing didn't get built til 2002.
P.I.D. is still visible on map.

Yea, I was there for the last P.I.D race with a 74 Road Runner.Remember when the shut down end of the track went UP,turn left and drift back to the pits at a steady decline.Thinkin 'bout the good ol' days.

Was too noisy? It is just big money doing a land grab. They are doing it here in Michigan too. All Republicans on the local board support it. It is out in the country so they have the majority and are calling it progresses. Look for the money trail.

Yeah, they had been on a noise curfew for years, there are even 2 (two) dirt tracks straight across the street from it all within the city limits. They want new houses there, nice big expensive ones and its all right next to the local landfill so the new home owners can move in and then ***** about the stink.

Yea, I was there for the last P.I.D race with a 74 Road Runner.Remember when the shut down end of the track went UP,turn left and drift back to the pits at a steady decline.Thinkin 'bout the good ol' days.

I wasn't driving yet.
Bridgeville was a lot closer to home than Keystone.
I bought my 74 Cuda in June '76 and was a regular at Keystone til the mid 80's.

Yeah, they had been on a noise curfew for years, there are even 2 (two) dirt tracks straight across the street from it all within the city limits. They want new houses there, nice big expensive ones and its all right next to the local landfill so the new home owners can move in and then ***** about the stink.
You are right. I had a house in a naobghhood tgat rapped around a huge farm and people moved in and bitched about the combines harvesting at night. But the farm was owned by the Gilmore family. Lots and lots of money. Jim Gilmore sponsored AJ Foit Indy car that won back in the early 70's. But new houses bring in lots of tax money. Sad money talks loudly.

I see that they re-named KEYSTONE back from Pittsburgh Raceway.The way it should be.....My old Dart is still racing there.

-
Back