Safely buying a car online

-

sbh126

Reaction score
So I found a solid Dart on Craigslist in SoCal and worked out a deal over the phone with the seller. What is the safest way, for both myself and the seller, to conduct the transaction without ever actually meeting in person? I currently live in Japan and am having the car shipped to my parents place in Utah. I'm a little hesitant to just send off the money and hope the seller follows through. But if I was the seller, I wouldn't be willing to ship the car and title off without full payment. What have the rest of you done when buying and selling cars online?

You can send payment through PayPal Goods and Services with the vehicle identification number (VIN) in the description. Having someone or yourself check the car out in person is the best.

Never use PayPal Friends and Family!

BTW

CAA5D14C-0C2D-484F-9E16-6363FC9743F8.gif

When I was in the auto transport biz I completed many transactions for my customers by paying the seller with a bank check and taking possestion of the car and title (if it was available).

Today you may still be able to find a bonded carrrier that can handle that... not sure about that. I handled sales as large as $150,000.... sometimes in CASH!

Nice looking Dart.

What part of Utah do your parents live, I’m in Northern Utah.

just curious...what brought you to japan?

we have friends who are missionaries on one of the islands there, and the son of one of our church families is stationed there with the USMC

I like the Title of this post.

"Safely" buying a car online.

Lol . . Good times on this site . . .

You can't anymore. Go see it for yourself, pay for it, title signed, trailer or whatever to lead it there..... Times have changed.. And so has my opinion about doing any deals like this online....

JW

just curious...what brought you to japan?

we have friends who are missionaries on one of the islands there, and the son of one of our church families is stationed there with the USMC

I'm in the Marine Corps and stationed on Okinawa. What island are your friends on? I know a few missionaries here even more Marines. lol.

Like stated b4. Have a member willing to inspect. I’m sure someone will step up. Just ask. Good luck. Kim

There are too many now that are "scraps" which has been piece milled together with bubblegum and tape... And if you know that's what you are getting going into it there is not a thing wrong with it.

It's when someone selling a car knows it's not really what they are telling you and are more than willing to play the "I don't know anything about it" role is when you get popped. It's called deception and a very useful tool now for sellers....

JW

There are too many now that are "scraps" which has been piece milled together with bubblegum and tape... And if you know that's what you are getting going into it there is not a thing wrong with it.

It's when someone selling a car knows it's not really what they are telling you and are more than willing to play the "I don't know anything about it" role is when you get popped. It's called deception and a very useful tool now for sellers....

JW
can't remember the island, but his name is Duane Wilhite
he's a hard guy to miss, I guess families of 13 are a bit of an exception there

I remember the first time they stayed with us, they "only" had 10 kids at the time

we let him and his wife take the guest room, and filled up the den with air mattresses
it was quite something

I believe brother Lancaster also visits Japan often

thank you for your service

-
Back