safety wire tips

-
Second one looks good, first one not so hot.

Here's mine...

DSC_0857.jpg

Riddler

thats the pics i have..:prayer::prayer::prayer:

how do you guys do the double wire and put it in the small hole????

ok found a video on youtube going to redo and see how it works ..:D:D

yes .. i think i see how its done now.. i watched a few of the you tube videos..:prayer:

This is what it should look like.

P3070010.jpg

Bolts can not come undone.

IMGP2060.jpg

Sorry to be harsh, but both of your examples wont fly.

I come from an aviation engineering background, so safety wire (along with split pins) are bread and butter, and we are expected to lock to a very high standard.

Both Womanator and Riddler have shown some pretty good examples, albiet with a couple of small flaws that would have my lead hand bring out his pliers and get me to start again.

Dont bother with lockwire pliers, all you should need are a set of side cutting pliers for cutting the wire, the rest you can do with your two hands.

Follow the examples shown, but try and keep the span between bolts at 6" max, if a fastener isnt close you can double loop the wire somewhere close and tie it off to the fastener you are locking, and always remember righty tighty lefty loosey.

sorry for double post.

this is probably the most thorough tutorial on the net [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwFjUX6SaY8&feature=related"]Jet Tech: Lockwire - YouTube[/ame]

kiwivaliant,
If you would show me where the wire is incorrect as I did take these parts to a Aand P mechanich to have it done.
I would like to get my money back if they are incorrect.
Thx marv

Vidio is enabled.

I have an a&p and i have been an aircraft inspector for a while now, and if a mechanic brought me that to sign off on i would make him do it again, looks like crap. not only are several of those beyond neutral and arent wrapped around the bolt head properly but the biggest problem to me is there is way to many twists per inch, this weakens the wire.

i am guessing that is .025 wire, that is just being lazy, should use .032

make him do it again

This is what it should look like.

P3070010.jpg

Bolts can not come undone.

IMGP2060.jpg

I thought i knew how to safety wire till i went to work for Boeing and i learned alot such as twist per inch, gap from twist to hole and no slack whatsoever after its done and use .032 wire unless called out for smaller wire even the tail has a spec so dont over stress by over twisting.

I agree with FCM4200. Yours looks ok except you should always start the safety wire twist by the hole. The Military standard for safety wire on aircraft is 6-8 twists per inch. I have done safety wire on airplanes for years. You could do a single strand all the way around and have just one twist about 3/4 to 1 " long at the end but double twisting is going to be much stronger.

As another aircraft guy.....been safety wiring for over 20 years, I agree with the above comments. None of the pictures are acceptable to me. If nothing else take it to your local airport and get ask a good aircraft mechanic to show you how. Twist pliers are ok, but the real artists don't use them, just duck bill pliers and side cutters. In my industry your lockwire is like your signature. Also, no more than 3 fasteners should be joined by one length of wire.

My 2 cents

My 2 cents. I followed this when I did it.

[ame]http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds386.pdf[/ame]

Years ago helped a friend that road raced bikes. Damn near everything was safety wired. Don't know if they way he trained me was right or not. I have a retired FAA inspector living down the road, sure he can re-educate me.....

-
Back