Sagging on one side?

-

jwicker

Reaction score
1964 dodge dart gt hardtop 2 door

The drivers side of my car appears to sag lower than the right. I've never done any suspension work before, so I'm not sure what components would be best to start checking.

Front left makes quite a pronounced squeak when lifting the bumper up and down.

If I lift up the front left, it will squeak, but stay there.

Not sure if that's shocks, bushings, Springs, or what..... Thoughts?

1964 dodge dart gt hardtop 2 door

The drivers side of my car appears to sag lower than the right. I've never done any suspension work before, so I'm not sure what components would be best to start checking.

Front left makes quite a pronounced squeak when lifting the bumper up and down.

If I lift up the front left, it will squeak, but stay there.

Not sure if that's shocks, bushings, Springs, or what..... Thoughts?
Just for diagnostics, spray all the front end components with Silicone or WD40. Make sure the joints are all greased. On a flat paved surface, measure from the ground to the top of the wheel opening. Bounce the front end and remeasure. You may need to adjust the torsion bars. Uneven front can throw off the rear as well. If the front is now good measure the rear side to side. You probably have the original springs (near 60 years old now). It might be time to replace them with new. I recommend Espo Springs.

For the squeak, I would lie on the ground and pull the bumper down or push up until you can reproduce the sound. Look and listen for the sound. I would suggest lubing all joints/rods. Probably will need another person to help diag the noise if the grease job doesn't solve it.

For the sag, make sure a rear left leaf spring is not broken. Look at the front upper and lower arms for anything that looks different. Maybe your squeak and sag are related.
Make sure your tires are at the proper pressure. Look at your torsion bar adjustment bolts. These can be adjusted to raise or lower the front end.

I agree with toomanmike on the 60 year old springs. Mine look original and the driver side sags just a bit. But when I launch the car the left side jumps up. So i'm good with it. :thumbsup:

IMG_3416.jpeg

Worst case is the torsion bar cross member has rusted away.

Best case is the adjuster is not as tight on one side as the other.

Get the car up and supported on jack stands in the front.

Then with a good light start looking at the cross member.

Raise one wheel up and watch for the socket that the bar is in to twist. ( it should not twist)

With the suspension hanging you MIGHT be able to feel movement of the warm out parts.

If you count the adjuster turns you could unload the torsion bars and the suspension would be hanging free. You could then move every part looking for the loose warm out parts.

If you have a sway bar disconnect one side of that too.

Maybe you need to make sure you balance the weight evenly from side to side..

1694215205579.png

-
Back