Sand blaster filter system

-

Sparky

Reaction score
My honey baby allowed me to purchase a sand blast cabinet for my shop(gotta luv that girl), anyway I will need to suck out the dust with a shop vac. One of the guys at work uses a system in his shop where he runs the his hose into a five gallon pail with water in it before it goes to the shop vac. He also said there is a drywall vac bucket on the market that works on the same principal. Just wondering what our guys are using and what works best without getting too expensive. Diagrams, pictures or links would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has any tips on grit blasting(do's and don'ts) would be appreciated as my experience with this tool is limited.
Thanks
Happy Friday to all.

errrrrrr since you are from BC, I will explain the water bucket in simple terms you will easily understand, :toothy10:it is basically a giant water bong!!! Think along these lines, and the construction should come easily.:headbang::evil4::rolleyes:

errrrrrr since you are from BC, I will explain the water bucket in simple terms you will easily understand, :toothy10:it is basically a giant water bong!!! Think along these lines, and the construction should come easily.:headbang::evil4::rolleyes:

Gotcha...girggle,girggle,girggle....8)

Very interesting. I burned up a cheap vac on my first project. I may have to look into this.
Thanks!
C

Went out to the shop and made some measurements and drew a diagram, going to get some supplies tomorrow and see if I can build this thing.

Sparky, congrats on the new blast cabinet!!! That's one investment you will never regret, and you'll soon wonder how you survived so long without one.

Take a look at some of the vacuum systems, media reclamation and general accessories here. http://www.tptools.com/d/12_Abrasive-Blasting.html. TP Tools is a fabulous company with great prices (turns out they're having a big sale through February 29), high quality tools and good customer service. They keep me a happy blastin' chick, that's for sure. I highly recommend their blasting gun upgrade kit.

Have fun and be careful with your new toy!

(And don't forget -- it's "puff, puff, passssssssssss"!!!)

I burnt up more than one vac with mine. I bought a dust collector from the Cummins Tool bunch. Inexpensive but has lasted two years. Only way to go.

that was a great website! i think i will go for their foot trigger setup.

Look what I made today. Went down to the shop this morning to light the stove and started looking around, found some old hose and some other pieces, got into McGiver mode and goterdone. Spent no money, the dog is mad cuz I stole her dog food bucket. The thing works, I,m sucking a little water into the vac, just a water level adjustment. Blasted for 5 minutes and checked the water in the bucket and it was real dirty. Soon as I applied the bong factor it all made sense.:cheers: I took a bunch of pics of the whole process.

2008_02230012.jpg

That is a nice cabinet! I would be interested in seeing more pics of the setup. Did you seal the hoses to the bucket lid with silicon?
C

The plywood is on both sides of the lid. I glued rubber on the inside of the holes to get a friction fit. I put bead of silicone and bolted the plywood.

2008_02230009.jpg

2008_02230010.jpg

Yes you can. What gets filtered out is just dust. If everything is working as it should.
C

Sparky, one thing to keep in mind (if you've never used a new blast cabinet before) is that all that lovely red paint on the inside walls and grating will migrate onto your freshly-blasted parts too. To keep this at a minimum, try to get into the habit of lifting the parts to move them around inside the cabinet as you work rather than sliding them.

I burnt up more than one vac with mine. I bought a dust collector from the Cummins Tool bunch. Inexpensive but has lasted two years. Only way to go.

Do you have a part number for the dust collector? I've searched their website with every term I could think of & still come up with nothing. I'll probably end making a bong for mine.

I was referring to the media that get's sucked into your party bong water
I will keep an eye on it once I start to use it more. I guess there must be some media getting sucked out along with the dust but I don't suspect it is very much. If out turns out to be large amounts I will have to consider the inside filter idea.

Thanks for the tips Leanna.

-
Back