Sandpebble Beige, love it or hater it?

-

omahamoparguy

Reaction score
I have a friend (who actually does mopar retorations among others) and I mentioned to him that the original color of my 67 cuda was the beige color (from what I can tell, fender tag is missin). He just kinda cringed a little.Apparantly this is the one of the most ugly colors that chrysler ever put on a vehicle as far as he is conccerened. I said i dont know I kinda like it. He says its ugly, paint it anything but that.
Any comments welcome. (Lets see some beige car pics).
BTW, the car was repainted resale red and there is a yellow paint under that then the original paint that I surmised is the beige.

I'll take beige before gray or green .Beige looks nice with maroon interior, and/or stripe. The 67 burlwood interior looks best on beige interior too.
Honestly I like beige on notchback better than fastback
. Only opinion that matters is yours.

i've seen worse

Attachments

• 0802091714a.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 793
  • sept. 30 2010 1470_1.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 747
Love it. To me it's cool to have something different than the popular colors. Beige looks fresh, stays cool in the sun, and it doesn't show dirt.

I am not sure of the color, but if it is the old eggshell or glacier white, I love it. The off white color of some of the 300cs and the color of the 56 and 57 Furys.

If it is that tan, that I recently saw on a 69 RR (original color he said), I hate it.

around here it appears that 100% of mopars from the 60's were painted green when they were new...that baby poop green

Thats not a bad color at all, I would rather have that color than pastel yellow (Y2) like mine. You can always do something different.

I am going to paint my 74 duster the original sandpebble beige. I was going to change it until I found pictures of a T/A challenger in beige on the net somewhere. In my opinion if you add enough black accents (like the T/A shown) it will look kinda cool. I plan to have a black vinyl top, black bolt on hood scoop, black go wing, black stripes, and black interior. Definitely not the most brilliant color, but it will be different.

Attachments

• 4939a.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 735
When I was younger I hated it, so "plain jane" looking... But so many of those cars were painted a different color you don't see it as much, and now I like it. It is a great "sleeper" color, all business. and like goldfish said, it is a great color for a daily driver because it doesn't show dirt as bad as darker colors...

I believe that its the color on my 72 Dart. I like it. I think I am going to have it repainted the stock color, with a black vinyl top,and black steelies with dog dishes.

sandpebble beige and no stripes would be the ultimate color to paint a sleeper in my opinion! personally i like seeing old mopars painted the not so flashy colors once in a while.

Sand Pebble beige is a neat color. Not gaudy, in your face or just plain ugly. Back in the day I had seen a bunch of undercover state cars in that color. They could sneak up on you on a heartbeat.

And it could be worse..your car could be covered in primer and gelcoat !!

bolo101.jpg

Well it seems that certain time periods had certain colors that were not desireable. I remeber ridiing in my friends parents awful green 62 Valiant and being embarrased to be seen. But today give me that same car and I'll gladly take it in awful green too! The awful green was followed by metallic blues that were worse. Then came the sandstones and beiges etc. But what was considered blah and ugly at the time got a cool factor as time passed. Since I graduated from auto body school in about 1975 I have really like for cars to be painted the same color they left the factory with. I don't know exactly why....but they just look good that way. Now a beige one can have good work done and be changed to sassy grass green and look really nice but, for me, I'd really like to see that car in it's original beige. There is also a plus for those colors that aren't as flashy in that you don't see near as many of them so they stand out from the crowd in that respect. My vote.....go for the beige!

Thats not a bad color at all, I would rather have that color than pastel yellow (Y2) like mine. You can always do something different.

Now I love the light yellow, we used to call it "lemonwood yellow." It was real popular in the mid to late 60s, more so than green where I was.

I let people talk me into painting my Barracuda viper red, and it was originally that light yellow. :banghead:

Go with the original beige color. I had a 69 Coronet 440 that was beige, the only one like it I ever saw, (wish I had kept it).
Have you research the build numbers for that car with that color? It just could be that its much more rare than you think and thus, much more valuable in the original color. My sons 74 Dart Swinger is original "Avacado Gold Poly", which is basically an olive-green. Not a color everyone thinks about useing but one that gets comments at the shows since its the only one. Too many reds, blacks, and blues out there already!

I think beige is an awesome color, I have a 70 6 pack GTX and the original color is BL1 with dark green interior. I am restoring it back to the same colors. I haven't seen many mopars that color so It will be different.

My Cuda was beige (on top of five other colors) when I bought it in 1991 ...

View attachment April 9, 1991.jpg

I thought it was too boring, blended in with the woodwork and, after spending wayyyy too much money and time turning it into what I wanted, didn't want some old guy pulling out in front of me and claim he "didn't see it." I went with something a little more subdued. :-D

View attachment 21631770-485.jpg

Thanks! That's my girl Mallory, who was six when I bought the car ... and now she's 27. :-D

I tried my best to raise her right, teach her to check and change her oil, do tune ups, handle basic maintenance and avoid real mechanics like the plague. But what did she do?

Bought a Lexus. :wack:

My sister had a 67 Formula S 273 hipo fastback barracuda that was beige. Had the vocational school I went to repaint it the original color

It is not a great color, but not a bad color. Like it better than the light blue my 67 Barracuda came from the factory in. Definitely better than the pucky pea green

I love this color as the mid-twenties version of myself. I was going to paint my car the same color, I still may. No quarter-life crisis colors for me.

Color choice depends a little on the reception to others, but more on what you like. I prefer classy, refined colors because it looks better, cleaner, and isn't stereotypical; not to mention in the end it garners more respect.

Especially if your under 35.

Every time I see some young gun riding around in a bright car colored car, I laugh a little on the inside, because I can see the childish attention getting behavior. The wrong attention: cops, thieves, insurance premiums, lowlifes, etc. gets attracted.

Keep it underplayed, our body style isn't one that you see every day, and there is no need to club people over the head with it. Bright colors not done tastefully come off as a desperate "look at me i'm awesome!???" instead of being Awesome. With a capital 'A'. Big difference.

Stand out by blending in. It's a zen thing...

Just my .02.

Good luck.

-
Back