Saw "King Richard " Petty today

-

4fortyDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Kyle Petty does a charity motorcycle ride every year and I was fortunate to be working in the same town that they were to arrive in today. I didn't see Kyle, but Richard was.
What a personable gentleman. Asked if he would be kind enough to sign the glove box for my 71 Demon. He was gracious enough to do just that.

16831647447313488614023625118154.jpg

Saw him at a Mac Tool convention in Nashville years ago. I couldn't get close to Dale Earnhardt and Richard Childress but chatted with Kyle for 15 min or so. Both are great guys!

Thats awesome, he is looking good for his age. I met Ronnie Sox shortly before he passed away. Another awesome guy to talk to.

Thats awesome, he is looking good for his age. I met Ronnie Sox shortly before he passed away. Another awesome guy to talk to.
Ronnie would have been great to meet. I saw him but didn't get to talk to him at the Mopar Nationals in Ohio back in 1990. He was getting the Cuda ready to rip down the track.

I would love to have an opportunity to meet Richard Petty, went through North Carolina last year and passed close to the shop, but didn't have time to make a stop. Always comes across as a real class individual.

I've met Richard a few times over the years. First time was when he came to Asheville Speedway in the 80's to campaign for Bill Hendon who was running for Congress. I took my Superbird I had at the time and he signed my antifreeze sticker. The next time was 6 or 8 years ago when an early spring ice storm knocked a lot of power out in the Greensboro-High Point-Randleman areas. I was working with a group of our contractors from Sumter Utilities, and we got Richard's lights back on. He came up to the gate at his house and was sitting on a Gator and waved when he saw my Duke Energy truck. I went back and talked to him, and he remembered my Superbird at the speedway! He is a very nice man who hasn't forgotten where he came from. I'm glad you got to meet him and talk with him!

:thumbsup:

I've met Richard a few times over the years. First time was when he came to Asheville Speedway in the 80's to campaign for Bill Hendon who was running for Congress. I took my Superbird I had at the time and he signed my antifreeze sticker. The next time was 6 or 8 years ago when an early spring ice storm knocked a lot of power out in the Greensboro-High Point-Randleman areas. I was working with a group of our contractors from Sumter Utilities, and we got Richard's lights back on. He came up to the gate at his house and was sitting on a Gator and waved when he saw my Duke Energy truck. I went back and talked to him, and he remembered my Superbird at the speedway! He is a very nice man who hasn't forgotten where he came from. I'm glad you got to meet him and talk with him!

:thumbsup:
Thank you! What a great story yourself.

I don't have much to add to that at all although my bro Chris had a one of 11 Grand Coupe convertibles, slant six.. turned it into a Hemi car, Don Garlits signed it, Tommy Chong, and the guy Marty from Jefferson Airplane.

I've had the pleasure to meet and talk to The King a couple of times. He loves to sign autographs!! He is truely a down home guy. As is his entire family.

I don't have much to add to that at all although my bro Chris had a one of 11 Grand Coupe convertibles, slant six.. turned it into a Hemi car, Don Garlits signed it, Tommy Chong, and the guy Marty from Jefferson Airplane.
That's very cool!

Very cool, I’ve never met him but I’ve heard he’s the nicest guy ever to meet, a true gentleman. Hopefully someday I’ll get to shake his hand!

That is a consummate southern gentleman right there.

Many people could learn from that man.

Kyle Petty does a charity motorcycle ride every year and I was fortunate to be working in the same town that they were to arrive in today. I didn't see Kyle, but Richard was.
What a personable gentleman. Asked if he would be kind enough to sign the glove box for my 71 Demon. He was gracious enough to do just that.
That was some quick thinking on removing your glovebox door, had that sucker off in a jiffy huh?!! :lol:

-
Back