SB distributor

-

GoDartGo

thread killer un-member
Reaction score
Okay I have two SB distributors, #1 from the parts yard, has a brass colored shaft at the rotor and tinny springs. This one also has flats for a wrench just under the bigger part of the casting.

#2 has hefty-er springs going in the opposite direction, no flats and plastic collar. The shaft under the rotor is steel (no brass). From jegs back in '07 I think.

Why are the springs and weights going in different directions. Are they both aftermarket?

maybe the guts from one is from a big block ( reverse rotation)???????

This is a reman dist for my 67 273.
post some photos of what you have

104_1588.JPG

Okay I have two SB distributors, #1 from the parts yard, has a brass colored shaft at the rotor and tinny springs. This one also has flats for a wrench just under the bigger part of the casting.

#2 has hefty-er springs going in the opposite direction, no flats and plastic collar. The shaft under the rotor is steel (no brass). From jegs back in '07 I think.

Why are the springs and weights going in different directions. Are they both aftermarket?
Pictures would be a plus!

doesnt matter which way springs/weights/pivot are orientated, the weights still fly out and that is what turns the advance. LA, and RB are shown with opposite rotation. Its the orientation of the lobes that dictates if they advance under CC rotation or retard. LA advances......
top-plate-springs.jpg

44-1024x577.jpg

Last edited:
I will get some pics after my neighbor blows up the hood with his fireworks, hey y'all watch this! Later.

doesnt matter which way springs/weights/pivot are orientated, the weights still fly out and that is what turns the advance. LA, and RB are shown with opposite rotation. Its the orientation of the lobes that dictates if they advance under CC rotation or retard. LA advances......
View attachment 1715194532
View attachment 1715194533
Top pic is a LA, the bottom is a B/RB, Hope it helps. I got a bastard one in as a core since the housings are basically the same they had a B shaft in a LA housing.

and the direction the weight pivots determines whether the timing advances or retards. They can't be run in the opposite direction.

-
Back