SB Fuel Pumps

-

eekvonzipper

My Member is Legendary!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm on My 3rd or 4th Fuel Pump in Two Years... I've tried NAPA, O'Reillys, VatoZone
They all seem to be lacking in some way. The One that's in there now works okay but sounds like a Rod Knock at Idle.
The Ones before were either Clacky/Rattly or they couldn't hold Pressure past 4k or just didn't give Pressure at all.
The One I started with worked/sounded best (occasionally) but would sometimes starve the engine at cruise. Geez!
Do the old Carter Rebuildables still exist? What should I try next?

Ditto as well. Not the Oe style pump. I have one on the shelf I’ll send to you if you want it but…. The bigger housing units that pump a lot of flow is what I use for the street cars.

It's just a 2-bbl Car, but Yeah. It needs a Good Pump...

eng.jpg

actually No. Was thinking that since it was just a Puny BBD Carb that I could get away with a Low-Budget Pump.
but they tend to act Low-Budget too, which isn't good.
They have the Carter pumps.

How is the eccentric looking ?
Normal scuff around it, not bad for 55yrs old... I smear a Lil assembly lube on 'em when installing the Pumps.
I think the Springs inside the Pumps aren't right anymore. When You Shake the Pumps They Rattle?

Yeah, like I said... it's just a Lil 2bbl, Carter Bbd.
Even a 2 barrel needs gas. Make sure you check the fuel pressure after you install it. ANy more than about 5# and you may have issues.

Have u actually crawled under the car to verify that there is no fuel or air leaks? R all hoses and clamps in good shape? I had 1 motor where the eccentric came loose a rattled like hell. It could also be a problem with the carb. Kim

-
Back