SB head bolt question

-
No they are all blind holes. If your talking about the block, if it the heads the end exhaust bolts have water behind them.

BJR Racing

Thanks BJR Racing. I'm using Edelbrock aluminum heads btw. So the head bolts are okay, but the exhaust bolts will need sealer? Which ones and what should I use for sealer? I have a tube of ARP thread sealer. Will this work on the aluminum heads?

Thanks again.

Dilley, on the heads, use studs on the end exhaust bolt holes with sealer (RTV). Studs also makes it much easier to mount headers. And no coolant mess when the headers are removed. Good luck, Terry.

Doug on my Eddies I have never had any coolant come out of the exhasut bolts......? I have the motor full of collant right now and I pulled the front tube off of my super comps to pull the starter....no collant loss.

edelbrocks dont have any water passage exh holes. all the exh holes are drilled into solid aluminum. No sealer required.

IMO, use studs anyway for ease of mounting like said above. Gaskets and headers hang and bolt up in a snap.

some of the later 318 & 360 blocks require sealer on the head bolts. these engines will have a decal on the valve cover with directions. These headbolt holes do not enter the water jacket, however they will stress crack on the deck surface towards the water jacket. this problem usally don't affect the earlier blocks, although i just put together a 1972 340 block that had this problem. i put silicone sealer on the head bolts & have yet to have a problem.

Great info guys... Thanks! :thumrigh:

The outer studs are a good idea rumblefish360.

My oldest son David (16) and I test fit the tti's while the motor was on the stand and it was sorta tough to get the supplied header bolts started. In fact, one of the bolt threads were damaged. Glad I caught that! I remember the days (daze) of the Cyclone header install... :banghead: Hope the tti's are better fitting.

BTW, Sweet ride Dusterb318! :yawinkle: Good color too.

--WESITE--041006-TTITestFit3.jpg

--WESITE--041006-TTITestFit3.jpg

Sorry Dilly...missed the part about you using Edelbrock heads. No bolt holes into water with them. The older small block heads do. Terry.

dilley340 that looks real nice;) what size blower will you put on that 340?
dont worry about the fit of the headers they will slip right inn if you just take some time and read the instructions twice;)
are those engine mounts stock type? i have had problems with my stock replacement type spool mounts last summer i used 3 driver side mounts:( chaning to polyuretan now...

Interesting manifold. Is that an adaptor fromt eh blower discharge to a dual plane?

duster340, it's a BDS 6-71 huffer set up to run 6.6% overdriven, [font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]5.5 - 6.0 Boost, 11.5 final compression ratio with 8.0:1 pistons. I figured that would be a safe start. Using two Holley 600's also.[/font]

Those are factory spool mounts in the photo. I'll probably go the polyurethane route too.

moper, the manifold looks to be an aluminum single plane four barrel intake that's been retrofitted for the blower case.

Thanks for the input guys :)

The-340-Mill-13.jpg

The-340-Mill-13.jpg

-
Back